Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I flew a BOAC 747 as a teenager.

Well, the simulator actually, by the time we got to Shannon for base training I was 20.

I could go on about what it was like as a Hamble graduate with 220 hours to transition from the Baron, at 2,300Kgs and 570hp to the 747-136 at 330,000Kg and the equivalent of 75,000shp, but it says everything about the aircraft that it was, as my Training Captain said, a 'Piece of P#ss'...

As for winglets, on the last airliner I flew, the MD11, both winglets were required, probably because it was aerodynamicillay at its limit anyway. One of the small 'under winglets' could be missing but even for that there were performance penalties.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By malcolmfrost
But when I was on a 747 out of Boston for LHR I saw the rear of a panel by the inner aileron lift by about six inches as we took off. Obviously not attached.

Possibly a spoiler panel used at low speed to add controlability.
By condor17
We've used Shannon to repaint before now . Picked up 767 from there, and no it was not in Green / White / Grey livery.
Young f/o did not believe that we were both going to do the walk around [ and in different directions ] until he found some masking tape in embarrassing places , and missed the bits I found .
Tried to tell the handover people that she was not airworthy because of the embarrassing tail . '' Could they do it in Red / White / and Blue ? ''....... no joy , 'tho they agreed with the sentiment

rgds condor.
By Cowshed
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have a particular fondness for the British Caledonian livery. I think it looked particularly good on the DC10-30, but I am biased because my old man flew them and I have a lot of happy memories of that time and grabbing any chance to hang around the airport and inhale jet A-1. As BCAL was a launch customer for the A320 I’d love to see an Airbus with the golden lion of BCAL on its tail fin once more.

Edit: my memory is failing. BCal was a launch customer for the A320, not the A310, but was taken over by BA before they saw service.
Last edited by Cowshed on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That one's Blackbushe based @Dave W . The owner has some previous connection with BCal I seem to recall. Used sometimes by Sir Morley Steven's outfit.

Iceman 8)
Dave W liked this