Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
No I wouldn't and aren't sure why Martin posted in a tweet. Not the best way to gauge opinion from AOPA members.
Quite why a Turkey would vote for Christmas escapes me. Who in their right mind would agree to pay for something to essentially private companies with no return?
ak724 - because if this does raise its head and become a serious issue to be challenged then it is wider than any single GA association membership.

Twitter gets to a wider audience, including those that don't <shame>belong to any association.</shame>

As can be seen, discounting conspiracy theories and off topic posts, it has developed a debate of sorts in this thread and raised the subject publicly.
Denied at Bristol today..

Flight from EGTE to Derby. IFR departure to 5000’ routing overhead Bristol, Wolverhampton and then into Derby. Exeter attempted to arrange, denied, I then radiod at least 20NM from the Bristol zone for transit. Plenty of time and also offered to change height as required to facilitate entry and ease of passage with the controller. Was left waiting until 5NM from edge of zone then denied. There is no way around the CAS at 5k feet without a large diversion. Managed to arrange routing through Cardiff Airspace. During this time Cardiff attempted to get us a more direct route with Bristol on the phone and they were denied.

Over a 30 minute period was denied 3 times despite providing lots of notice and reasonable offers to change height/heading etc.

Bristol is not Heathrow. I guarantee that there has been a significant reduction in safety in the area since Bristol removed their LARS service. If Bristol is not capable of providing a sensible service and accommodating transits they should be fined and made to invest in additional
Controllers and equipment.

Bear in mind that the wx today was IFR so no other GA was on frequency. Cardiff suggested routing through them as Bristol frequently now denies access and are unhelpful.

Have filed my FCS form today - I strongly urge others who have this issue with Bristol to submit the necessary form each and every time.

I would have been happy with any altitude from 2000 to 12000’ and any heading.
Katamarino, James Chan, Waveflyer and 3 others liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
they should be fined and made to invest in additional

Would they just recover their costs from their customers which would see our landing/handling fees shoot up even more from the current £220 for a Cessna 172?

I hope that doesn’t happen.
Part of the granting of controlled airspace should be a requirement to invest properly in the equipment and controllers to guarantee access for all users.

At £220 for a C172 (if indeed it is that much) why would you want to go in there anyway? Clutton Hill just outside Bristol is far nicer, cheaper and has a nice pub at the end of the runway..
By James Chan
Part of the granting of controlled airspace should be a requirement to invest properly in the equipment and controllers to guarantee access for all users.

I agree but I suppose they can never guarantee access if the airspace was completely occupied or there was some overriding safety issue at the moment you pop up for a transit.

I just feel so overcharged by Bristol over the years - then they removed LARS and now they seem to have issues servicing transits. I’ve wondered where all the money I’ve paid is going. I do hope you get a response from the CAA.

why would you want to go in there anyway?

Larger airports have better/cheaper ongoing transport connections, airline drop-offs, instrument approaches and extended opening hours.

I like smaller airfields too but I wouldn’t want my flying scene to just all look like that.
By Full Metal Jackass
Pudnucker wrote:Denied at Bristol today..

Flight from EGTE to Derby. IFR departure to 5000’ routing overhead Bristol, Wolverhampton and then into Derby. Exeter attempted to arrange, denied, I then radiod at least 20NM from the Bristol zone for transit. Plenty of time and also offered to change height as required to facilitate entry and ease of passage with the controller. Was left waiting until 5NM from edge of zone then denied. There is no way around the CAS at 5k feet without a large diversion. Managed to arrange routing through Cardiff Airspace. During this time Cardiff attempted to get us a more direct route with Bristol on the phone and they were denied.

Over a 30 minute period was denied 3 times despite providing lots of notice and reasonable offers to change height/heading etc.

Bristol is not Heathrow. I guarantee that there has been a significant reduction in safety in the area since Bristol removed their LARS service. If Bristol is not capable of providing a sensible service and accommodating transits they should be fined and made to invest in additional

Bear in mind that the wx today was IFR so no other GA was on frequency. Cardiff suggested routing through them as Bristol frequently now denies access and are unhelpful.

Have filed my FCS form today - I strongly urge others who have this issue with Bristol to submit the necessary form each and every time.

I would have been happy with any altitude from 2000 to 12000’ and any heading.

Will also file next time this happens to me. Strange that there are others in this parish who swear this NEVER happens. :wink: :wink: :wink:
By Full Metal Jackass
Pudnucker wrote:I think it’s essential that everyone does take the time to file - it’ll get worse and worse.

Just out of curiosity, what did Bristol give as reason for the refusal? Or are they now above needing to give reasons for excluding GA from their airspace?
By johnm
I routinely route through Bristol at 5000ft en route South from Gloucester. I should have an opportunity to test whether things have changed on a trip next Friday, if refused I'll certainly file.
By Full Metal Jackass
Pudnucker wrote:“Too busy” that was it..

Wow, the controller must have been really overloaded - in the past, the old chestnut they used to deny access to CAS was 'refused due to controller workload' but apparently now these poor guys are so overworked, they haven't got the time to even utter those syllables but have to reduce it to 'too busy' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
@Pudnucker's story above should be reported (It may well have been.)

Is there an official way of reporting these things?
By James Chan
Is there an official way of reporting these things?

The CAA has a FCS1521 form for any unreasonable denials of access to airspace.