For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So the government has at last cancelled the contract with Seaborne to run ferries. The company with no experience that planned to run ships they don’t have from a port that cant take ferries must be devastated.
This is incompetence at a stellar level. I expect millions have already changed hands. Should those responsible be held to account?
By seanxair
The Government is committed to supporting start-up businesses :?
By Sir Morley Steven
My club has more experience. At least we have gone across the channel once or twice. Hmm, I have a cunning plan.
By cockney steve
According to the Bull***t Baffles Consumers report, the Minister attempting to grease his mates' palms, stated that "no government money has been paid. I invoke Mandy*

*Ms. Rice -Davies " well he would say that, wouldn't he "
By romille
The level of naivety and incompetence of our politicians and civil servants is utterly staggering, they squander tax payers money in an alarming way, while cutting vital services. If a business carried on the way HMG do they would very quickly go bust.
By johnm
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
By Flying_john
It was to pretend to show the Eurocrats that we were prepared for anything !

:roll: :wink:
By Sooty25
Personally, I never understood the need for more capacity. Dover will be much quieter once we block all the Irish through traffic anyway.
By cockney steve
Eire " we don't want a border"
Norn Irn " we don't want a border"
UK Gov't " we don't want a border"
EU to Eire "You are an isolated EU outpost, you have to erect a border"

Eire to EU " We don't want one , won't pay for one, if you don't like it, stick your EU "

Wishful thinking ?

Compromise, any goods for Continent, sealed by Customs in Eire, pay a toll upon entry to UK roads reach ferryport on East coast,seals are inspected and load proceeds to ferry.....any broken seals, lorry/load forfeit, though appeal allowed.
shows EU a goodwill gesture from UK, allowing their goods a free short-cut across the mainland....charging for wearing -out our roads with their goods is reasonable....we could be barstodious and insist that all lorries and semi-trailers are UK taxed and plated, and only allowed entry with , say, max 10 galls Irish diesel on board. (alternative to entry toll.

What does the Flyer committee think? :twisted:
By Flintstone
Sir Morley Steven wrote:My club has more experience. At least we have gone across the channel once or twice. Hmm, I have a cunning plan.

I'm not entirely sure that the 'Blackbushe Booze and Fags Calais Run Club' qualifies you. Although, compared to the mob they awarded the contract....

Cockney Steve wrote: "... erect a border"
" We don't want one , won't pay for one,"
:

Now where have I heard something similar to that?
By chevvron
Sir Morley Steven wrote: from a port that can't take ferries must be devastated.

Funny, could have sworn I saw ferries operating in/out of Ramsgate back in the '80s; what's happened to the port since then? (There was certainly the derelict Hoverport neaby at Pegwell Bay)
By chevvron
cockney steve wrote:Eire " we don't want a border"
Norn Irn " we don't want a border"
UK Gov't " we don't want a border"
EU to Eire "You are an isolated EU outpost, you have to erect a border"

Eire to EU " We don't want one , won't pay for one, if you don't like it, stick your EU "

The EU must pay to erect surveillance systems at EVERY border crossing point on land however small, these systems to include CCTV, NPR, Facial recognition and IR sensing.
They must also fund a 'Border Force' of some sort not to man each checkpoint but to remotely monitor the above systems and respond when necessary.
By johnm
What does the Flyer committee think? :twisted:

I think we should go with Germany plus or Maydeal :twisted:
By Flyin'Dutch'
chevvron wrote:Funny, could have sworn I saw ferries operating in/out of Ramsgate back in the '80s; what's happened to the port since then? (There was certainly the derelict Hoverport neaby at Pegwell Bay)

Last Ferry sailed in 2013