Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
16 yrs on a Dr400/180.
3 smooth and full pumps and just a tiny touch of throttle.
While cranking, increase throttle slowly and slightly. Never more than 1/4 in.
Every engine is different, but ours was absolutely faultless with this technique and I never let her burst into life screaming at 1500+ rpm ever.

As said by everyone, ask one of the others as it may have a little trick it likes or maybe they are mistreating it.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
The hangar is not heated but there are air blowers and recommended to warm up the engine at least 30 min before starting the engine. I have done this and yet failed and added to my annoyance. As some of you pointed out, there might be a slight operational difference that is making my experience miserable. I will ask my instructor today to show me the trick today. Sometime it helps to hear from others.
Lockhaven liked this
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We have a DR250/160 kept in an ice cold hangar with no door.

Cold starting process for us is:-

- Mixture rich / fuel pump on / six pumps of throttle
- Mixture cutoff / carefully check mags off / brakes on / throttle closed
- Pull prop through two complete revolutions
- Mixture rich / mags both / throttle 1/4
- Press button and it fires first time, every time within one blade revolution no matter how long it has been standing
I use the club's DR300/180 for towing and the DR400/180 that I have a share in. Both hangared (in the same hangar). They don't have a primer. Both use 4 to 6 pumps on the throttle and start with the throttle closed then moved to open by a few mm, barely more than taking up the backlash. The DR300 starts on the key, the DR400 has a separate starter button and in that case I start on the left mag as briefed.
They usually start after a few compressions and if they don't I stop, pump a little more and try again. Each try is about 5 seconds, certainly not 30. Once it starts running I increase the throttle to get it running at 1100 to 1200 and try to remember to switch the DR400 to both mags.
Starting problems have been because of a tired battery or some impulse mag problem.
When warm one pump, throttle almost closed and start.

If it won't start I don't try too hard, it seems either to start fairly easily or not. After half a dozen tries I go and ask for help from the experts before I've flattened the battery. They tend to do the same as me, with the same not starting results.
Those of us with a background driving old cars tend to get a feel for cold-starting carbureted engines. Particularly if you've driven anything with sidedraught Weber or Dellorto carburettors - these have no cold-start mechanism or choke so require the pumping technique.

Flooding is possible, but you'd have to really go at it. The clue then is fuel visibly dripping from the carburettor - one of the advantages of an updraft carburettor.

The TB10 does not have a primer and the POH is suitably vague (c'est francais, c'est normal) in that it just says "throttle operated a few times".

I find three pumps of the throttle is sufficient in warmer weather and six pumps in colder weather. That said the last two flights in very cold weather have been tricky - with the outcome on both occasions being that I was under-priming initially rather than over-priming.

The accelerator pump is there to introduce extra fuel when the throttle is opened rapidly. Therefore if you just open the throttle in a fairly normal fashion then the pump probably won't do anything. It is referred to as pumping the throttle because it needs to be done reasonably quickly to have any effect. After pushing it all the way forward quickly, bring it back a bit slower so that the pump reservoir has time to fill again before the next pump.
Just came back from the airfield where my FI was showing me how to start the engine. Even she couldn't.
The practical procedure is indeed 8x priming with magnetos at both and while cranking execute 'near priming' (throttle not completely in). We gave up after three attempts as the battery was seemingly too weak. All this after having warming up the engine (2 hot air blowers) for 30 minutes.

We opened the Cowling and left the battery to charge. My instructor will try it again later and let me know.
blueup wrote:We have a DR400 0360 six primes, short pause, left mag, first blade every time in winter. Summer 4 primes same result. If the engine is not doing this may be worth someone checking mag timing and at least looking at the plug condition !

That's pretty much my experience too from a few thousand starts on Lycoming 0360 engines (in DR400s & Super Cubs, used as tugs). Where 'primes' means accelerator pump on throttle rather than actual primer where fitted (we had them wire locked closed!). These a/c were pretty well looked after though, by engineers on site. Something definitely sounds unwell with this one!
Unless I’m missing something you’re starting far too rich. Our syndicate DR400/180 and tug with same engine:

Fuel pump off
Mix rich
4-5 pumps, throttle cracked open
Turn key (both are key ignition so no say in the mag choice)

Works every time down to freezing outside. Less is more. This is from cold, from warm it probably only needs 1-2 pumps ( I can’t remember, summer was a long Time ago).

The only time this didn’t work there was an air leak in the system so the mixture was off.

If this doesn’t work - you have an engine problem.