Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Mr.Meerkat
Quick disclaimer: I have emailed the ATO and am awaiting their response but was just curious what others thought.
Hey all!

After a lot of faffing about and cloud watching, I passed my skills test in December (yay!). The next logical step is my night rating, which as its coming towards the end of night rating season, I've been contacting some schools.
Originally, I was going to do it with the ATO I did my PPL with, which shouldn't have had any issues posed upon it. However, due to a change of circumstances, it was no longer possible. I then commenced to contact a few RTFs and an ATO, which after a few brief discussions, the ATO was selected (mostly for the airfield).

From my understanding, there is no requirement for someone to actually be in possession of a licence while doing their night rating however, as not only would the instructor been changed, I would have changed schools so could this potentially be an issue (in terms of rules) or would it just be at the discretion of the school?

Thank you!

Update: CAA finally responded and gave a request of details of non UK examiner. Looks like I should get it before my first scheduled night rating flight after all.
Last edited by Mr.Meerkat on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is at the discretion of schools! Some make it up as they go along!
No problem with you completing a night rating anywhere with any properly licensed instructor who has night rating instruction privileges at an airfield licensed for night flying. No doubt a customer service prevention officer at a local school will tell you differently.
That is great to hear. They seem to have ignored my email so I'll probably push the issue a little but otherwise, hopefully I'd either get my licence before my stated start day or I can get an actual confirmation that it's all okay.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It always used to be (under JAR) that you could do a UK night rating as part of the PPL course but EASA interpretations have stopped that. Has anyone who was refused one as part of the course got the 'communication' refusing it? (To check if it clearly answers the question posed here)
Mr.Meerkat wrote:That is great to hear. They seem to have ignored my email so I'll probably push the issue a little but otherwise, hopefully I'd either get my licence before my stated start day or I can get an actual confirmation that it's all okay.

Any school that cant be bothered to answer your email doesn't deserve your custom, my advice, go elsewhere