Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The latest SD developments are nothing short of brilliant.

Sadly our group ruled itself out of participating a few years ago by buying the cheapest (and therefore non- upgradeable to ADSB out) Garmin transponder on the market....

Peter :wink:
Edit finger trouble
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By smokescreen
'Sadly our group ruled itself out of participating a few years ago by buying the cheapest (and therefore non- upgradeable to ADBS out) Garmin transponder on the market....' - exactly the same as our group. Now stuck with a 328 with no incentive for the 'older' group members to dip in for a replacement with ADSB out as we've recently spent loads of dosh on replacement engine and avionics upgrade.
PeteSpencer liked this
Farmstripflyer wrote:Just a quick tech question, I have the Funke ATR833 radio which has an audio input. If I connnect this to the headphone output on my iPad running Skydemon with a 3.5mm lead will this provide the audi messages through the headsets?

Yes, We have a socket on our panel for Aux input from SD or PAW to our ATR833S. Suggest a mute switch as an easy way to cut chatter if you need to.
BTW the Aux in must not be an open circuit, so you need to use a socket that can be arranged to short the Aux-In when the feed cable is removed. Same with the mute switch.
Farmstripflyer liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
PeteSpencer wrote:The latest SD developments are nothing short of brilliant.

Sadly our group ruled itself out of participating a few years ago by buying the cheapest (and therefore non- upgradeable to ADSB out) Garmin transponder on the market...

You can easily participate by using that PilotAware you have in the cupboard.
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:The latest SD developments are nothing short of brilliant.

Sadly our group ruled itself out of participating a few years ago by buying the cheapest (and therefore non- upgradeable to ADSB out) Garmin transponder on the market...

You can easily participate by using that PilotAware you have in the cupboard.

Wanna shove it in a handy box with minimal trailing wires and aerials that fit, for me then?

On second thoughts forget it while I’d be obliged to switch off mode S.

Or have there been significant develop in that area while I’ve been asleep ?

Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
PeteSpencer wrote:Wanna shove it in a handy box with minimal trailing wires and aerials that fit, for me then?

Yep, I've got the bits here ready for ya, just waiting for my aeroplane to come back on-line to come over to you!

PeteSpencer wrote:On second thoughts forget it while I’d be obliged to switch off mode S.

You don't switch off Mode S with PilotAware. Never have.

PeteSpencer wrote:Or have there been significant develop in that area while I’ve been asleep ?

There have been developments such as the OGN-R network for Flarm and the tie in with 360 Radar or whatever it is for providing multilateration on Mode S contacts.
Tim Dawson wrote:Both those sorts of refinements are on the list.

A gaggle of gliders such as the one in that video would currently be treated separately. It’ll clearly be shown on the map and any sensible powered pilot would stay clear of it. If you powered on through or close to it, no spoken output or ground-based controller in the world is going to keep you safe, it’s eyes out constantly presumably! I have no gliding experience. The obvious potential enhancement in SkyDemon is to treat them all as one lump if sufficiently far away.

We’ve put some thought into what we do as you approach your destination airfield but those thoughts aren’t likely to turn into code in the first release. I personally like the idea of verbally advising the pilot how many aircraft are known about in the circuit, how many might also be joining, and notifying them if anyone on the ground lines up on the runway. But of course we are open to suggestions.

The Flarm driven voice systems I've used have a "warn once" option, where they warn you of new traffic that comes within range, but will then assume you keep eyes on it and not warn you (verbally) again for that traffic ID. You still get the "beep beep beep" warning if an imminent conflict is detected.

Even then in congested situations it gets overloaded, I'm not sure how you would build the algorithm but a "multiple contacts" output would be a good option.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
We warn more than once but only if the aircraft goes from simply "of interest" to becoming a threat. The multiple contacts thing will be interesting to solve, and in fact a good problem to solve because it'll mean (presumably) that a whole bunch of aircraft are all electronically conspicuous. The sooner we get there the better.

Today we've been creating the user interface the pilot can use to silence warnings for particular aircraft. That could be because they've got the aircraft in sight (silence temporarily) or even that they're flying in formation with it (silence for the rest of the flight).
PaulSS, GrahamB, gaznav and 4 others liked this
ChrisRowland wrote:Our tug has FLARM with a module to translate the data to voice and it seems to be a challenge to turn the continuous "Glider six o'clock 150"messages off without turning everything off.

One of our two tugs has flarm to voice, but it doesn’t seem to be worried about the glider on tow thank goodness!

The other (usual) tug has standard power flarm with the usual basic flarm display only; again this is chilled about the glider in tow, but can get excited when on the approach with a glider on the grid adjacent...
ChrisRowland wrote:Our tug has FLARM with a module to translate the data to voice and it seems to be a challenge to turn the continuous "Glider six o'clock 150"messages off without turning everything off.

Have you checked that the aircraft type is set to "tug" in the tug's Flarm?
Isn’t it a little ironic when SkyDemon advise DaveP how important accuracy is when if I understand stuff correctly DaveP flies around calibrating ILSs?

Is Ironic the right word?

Every good parent is protective of their children maybe