Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There seems to be a dearth of action so far this year, no doubt abetted by the poor weather, so I'll kick off this year's achievements myself with the happy story of soloing my own aircraft :thumright:

It feels like ages ago since taking possession of her last year. According to the logbook it was about 5 hours in the air and 35 T/O and landings... Mixed with the weather and some electric gremlins which grounded us for a while - time certainly flies even if we don't. But yesterday Julian hopped out. Never too sluggish even at MTOW, being now 15% below MTOW, she leapt into the air with just me on board :mrgreen: :D

Oh, what a beautiful morning...

Oh, what a beautiful day...

I have a wonderful feeling...

Everything 's going my way :-)

Having not quite avoided all the puddles at WW, I then spent half an hour freezing my hands off washing off the mud. All part of the fun 8)

Thanks to Julian for his patience...
ChrisRowland, seanxair, mick w and 5 others liked this
By Kemble Pitts
Well done indeed, lovely looking aeroplane.

By coincidence I had flown the Jodel to WW last Saturday and noticed your aeroplane landing and then taxying in to the pumps at 1330. Mind you, I had to ask the ops team what type it was!

Maybe I say the dog-end of that first solo?
By Flintstone
Josh wrote:She’s very pretty indeed.

Psssst! He’s a fella.

Well done Morten. About time!
By Morten
Kemble Pitts wrote:Maybe I say the dog-end of that first solo?

Not quite... in the morning we went off for some general handling and I had a first go at some loops. Although, truth be known, they were more like broken helices in that they were rather far from straight.
So much so that my stomach felt decidedly unhappy... so we came back in for some soup and a leg stretch. I clearly need to work on my tolerances :(
There was a lovely looking yellow Pitts being pushed up to the pumps at that time - was that you?

Morten
By Josh
Flintstone wrote:Psssst! He’s a fella.

Clearly haven’t done the mandatory Diversity and Inclusion course. Assumptions like that...
By Kemble Pitts
Morten, sadly my 'daily' mount is a Jodel. The Pitts I used to instruct on is no longer available to the flying school :(

G-INFO indicates that your lovely aeroplane has the O-360 rather than the AEIO-360 of the S2A, what inverted or negative G capability does it have? (Not that I'm a lover of negative G, BTW).
By Morten
Kemble Pitts wrote:Morten, sadly my 'daily' mount is a Jodel. The Pitts I used to instruct on is no longer available to the flying school :(

G-INFO indicates that your lovely aeroplane has the O-360 rather than the AEIO-360 of the S2A, what inverted or negative G capability does it have? (Not that I'm a lover of negative G, BTW).

No sadness in flying one of Mssrs Joly and Délémontez' finest!

Yes, the base engine is an O-320, but it has an injection mod and an inverted oil/fuel system, making it a close equivalent to its AEIO brother. The g limitations therefore come from the airframe - and pilot, in my case :?
It also has a fixed pitch prop as opposed to the CS unit normally found on the Pitts.

If I find either the fixed pitch or airframe capabilities limiting me at some stage in the future... I'll be quite pleased with my progress :wink:

Morten
Kemble Pitts liked this