Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeterMa
Totally Keith . us lowly PPL holders flying for fun seem to find it easier to stay on the ground as we don't have commercial pressures . As a commercial boat skipper ( which I'm qualified & experienced to do & get paid , carry passengers etc) I have on occasion refused to depart due to weather … the pressure can be immense to 'give it a go' with a 'it'll be OK' attitude from passengers & owners ( who don't have the same knowledge, training or experience!) . 99% of the time it may be 'ok' but the 1% when it isn't gives rise to significant risk/ injury/ death :(
Bob Bevan, Sooty25, KeithM and 8 others liked this
By GolfHotel
AlanM wrote:The retrieved body now confirmed as that of Emiliano Sala.

https://news.sky.com/story/body-recovered-from-plane-wreckage-is-missing-cardiff-city-striker-emiliano-sala-11631094

hopefully this will help his family at this time that must be so difficult for them.
Lockhaven, AlanM, Flintstone liked this
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GolfHotel wrote:
AlanM wrote:The retrieved body now confirmed as that of Emiliano Sala.

https://news.sky.com/story/body-recovered-from-plane-wreckage-is-missing-cardiff-city-striker-emiliano-sala-11631094

hopefully this will help his family at this time that must be so difficult for them.

But also an awful time for the pilot's family. Sad and sobering thoughts.
Sooty25, Lockhaven liked this
By Iceman
Presumably, the ROV pictures will have given an indication as to whether the pilot's seat had been ejected from the front end of the aircraft completely, or whether the seat was intact and seat belts had been undone post-crash and somehow the pilot escaped. A third option being that he might've have jumped before the aircraft hit the water.

Iceman
By Lockhaven
Sadly for both families this event is going to drag on for a long time, with police investigations and court cases.

I honestly hope they get to the root cause of this accident and that those individuals involved with organising this flight and other similar flights are punished severely, at the moment they haven't even started to open the can of worms thats going unfold.
Flintstone, 2Donkeys, Nick and 1 others liked this
By Sooty25
Iceman wrote:Presumably, the ROV pictures will have given an indication as to whether the pilot's seat had been ejected from the front end of the aircraft completely, or whether the seat was intact and seat belts had been undone post-crash and somehow the pilot escaped. A third option being that he might've have jumped before the aircraft hit the water.

Iceman

It is very safe to assume a very detailed, hi-res, video survey will have been done. The aaib investigator on board would have been in with the ROV crew calling the shots.
By G-JWTP
Without being judgemental.

If the body recovered had been that of the pilot not the passenger, do you think the search would be continued?

I'm assuming that they have now given up trying to salvage anything else.

G-JWTP
By Melanie Moxon
Depends, on how the aircraft hit the water I suppose. If it was a controlled landing I'd be inclined to agree but if the impact was uncontrolled it is possible the front could have been torn off in the impact and the pilot taken by the tide.
By plus7g
mattmoxon wrote:Depends, on how the aircraft hit the water I suppose. If it was a controlled landing I'd be inclined to agree but if the impact was uncontrolled it is possible the front could have been torn off in the impact and the pilot taken by the tide.

Still strapped to his seat ? I can only think the impact would damage firewall forward ?
Stolen from " the other side" :
Not to mention there might be some who would rather the plane, the pilot, and his mobile phone/ipad etc stayed down there well out of reach of investigators.
By tomshep
I very much doubt that. This is the result of an accident. No lessons need to be learned because they had all been taught already. Nobody will escape lawful liability because the pilot or his effects cannot be found. There is enough data to make fairly accurate analyses ( and probably beyond reasonable doubt when the reports are published, even if that is not their proper function.) The state of the airframe will give a lot of information and I expect that the controls will have been photographed to get a fairly clear understanding of the aircraft's operational conditions. The one thing that would be difficult to know would be engine failure.