Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Is there some confusion here with regard to issuing and renewing, just returning to instructing from a long break, flying the aircraft is the same everything else has become like industry a complex network of rules and jargon and nobody understands it, or pretends they do, even Ive renewed things with forms which one examiner didn't realise he could just sign ! Great to be back though.
Can somebody please clarify whether the April 2019 date applies only to new issues of the rating, or also to renewals and revalidations? I have previously read it applied only to new issues, and there was a principle that existing privileges were grandfathered and could not be removed, though obviously I am happy to be corrected!
A le Ron wrote:Can somebody please clarify whether the April 2019 date applies only to new issues of the rating, or also to renewals and revalidations? I have previously read it applied only to new issues, and there was a principle that existing privileges were grandfathered and could not be removed, though obviously I am happy to be corrected!

This is what I am trying to clarify at the moment. Since the earlier post I read two conflicting views neither of which is definitive. It rather hangs, I suspect, in the interpretation of the phrase ‘Member states may authorise’ IIRC. Does that mean initially authorise or renew/revalidate an authrisation or something else.

I was pretty sure earlier in the thread of what it meant and when asked to provide the definitive reference I re-read it and it turned out not to be definitive and hence asking the CAA GA dept. I am not convinced they know right now to be honest.
joe-fbs wrote:I have emailed my MP, copied Grant Shapps and CAA...

Earlier this week I received a reply from the CAA (copied to the two MPs). I think that it is OK for me to share that reply, with the name of the person removed:

"...I am sorry for the short delay in replying, I have been on leave.

I can confirm under the current arrangements the IMC Rating can be issued until April 2019. The CAA General Aviation Unit is already engaged with our colleagues at EASA regarding the future arrangements as we agree that UK general aviation access to a basic instrument qualification after April 2019 is vital.

EASA has been working towards implementing the Basic Instrument Rating (BIR) which is similar to the IMR Rating but a European qualification. It is not yet clear when this will be available. We do have a commitment from EASA that the IMC Rating should be available until the BIR or a similar European GA accessible basic instrument qualification becomes available.

As you may be aware from the recent suite of CAA issued General Exemptions, EASA and the Commission have been working hard towards publishing the latest amendment to the Aircrew Regulation which has been delayed for procedural reasons. My view is that needs to be resolved (published) before there is any bandwidth in Europe for further discussion on such UK National arrangements as the IMC Rating. The Aircrew Regulation amendment should to be published in the near future.

My expectation is an appropriate GA accessible instrument qualification will still be available after April 2019 and we will advise the GA sector when we have more information to share."
February 19

First time posting
Hello everyone.

Is the deadline for ir(r) still April 19 on an Easa licence
Can't find anything new on the Caa website
Wanted to start ir(r) next week. Wondering if am cutting it close.
Think it pretty useless on uk ppl since I don't have one.

All the best.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Someone on Facebook said that the deadline was for the application to be processed...so you'd have to have completed it about 2 weeks ago at the current licence processing rate.

Having said that, the CAA have also said, unofficially, that there's no reason they can see why the IMC rating won't be extended for another period of time. Maybe they'll do it a year at a time, year on year. CAA extension announcements are usually with a few hours to go to the deadline!
Scottfoil20 wrote:Is the deadline for ir(r) still April 19 on an Easa licence
Hi Scott, try and get your IMC by the deadline you spoke of, but, do it anyway, it will stand you in good stead, training is never a waste of time.
Irv Lee wrote:Is everyone 100% sure we will be in EASA at the start of April? I used to be!

In EASA, probably yes or no depending on how things unfold
In Part-FCL as it is now, for sure yes in the next 3 years, you wanna bet?