Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BoeingBoy
Why would a VFR flight planning app need full IFR planning capability?

Because people like me wish to operate their aircraft inside Class A airspace and operate IFR on a regular basis. The only alternative to SD are American products which charge in excess of £1000 a year for their data base and displays. They are also not ideal for European use.

SD has come a long way from being a simple tablet display to keep you safe on Saturday butty runs. It's now probably one of the world leading flight planning and progress apps. I believe it was said at the last SD presentation I went to that they intend to offer an IFR package but legalities have held them back. It's one thing to sell a product with the caveat that you should look out the window to keep safe, another to have pilots put blind trust in your product.
Dave Phillips liked this
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
SkyDemon is for both VFR and IFR.

Foreflight doesn’t have anything like the verbal traffic information feature we have developed.
kanga liked this
rikur_ wrote:Can someone explain what gizmo one buys to hear the outputs? I've got normal wired headsets with no bluetooth wizardry.

I guess this sort of adapter will do the job, but it's a bit expensive:

https://transair.co.uk/headsets-helmets/headsets/headset-adaptors-cables/bluetooth-headset-adaptor-ga-version

Sportys do a cheaper one for output only, but I've not found a UK reseller:

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/bluetooth-adapter-for-ga-plug-headsets.html
rikur_ liked this
Tim Dawson wrote:SkyDemon is for both VFR and IFR.

Foreflight doesn’t have anything like the verbal traffic information feature we have developed.

Yes it does, I've used it. From the manual:

Look, before we go down the usual polarising route, I've got nothing against SD and if all my flying was VFR in UK and Europe I probably would use it. BUT, it doesn't provide the coverage I need for my job and much of what I do is IFR - ForeFlight is better placed for what I do. My initial response to Cub was because there are other packages out there that are already doing the 'excellent' (sic) stuff that was being announced with a fanfare of trumpets. That's all.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Dave, that really is nothing like what we have developed. It’s incredibly primitive.

Accuracy is important in my line of work.
By dublinpilot
PFMS Team
Dave Phillips wrote:My initial response to Cub was because there are other packages out there that are already doing the 'excellent' (sic) stuff that was being announced with a fanfare of trumpets. That's all.

Indeed, it looks like SD are one of the last to the table with this feature.

EasyVFR had spoken alerts (across all of its supported platforms) released almost 3 years ago to the day (5 February 2016).
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
We clearly will have some marketing work to do around this feature, as there will be many who simply don’t understand the difference from what has been offered by some platforms in the past.

It is fairly common for other products to take a simple look at what is within x miles of you, and y feet, and tell you about it. That’s very easy, and is pretty much the specification for the product mentioned and linked to earlier in this thread (it states that’s how it works on the linked page).

SkyDemon verbal traffic information constantly monitors the radar picture around you as a whole, and attempts to make the same intelligent decisions as to what to talk to you about, as a ground-based controller would. We will talk to you about a fast jet approaching outside of visual range but which is going to come uncomfortably close to you very shortly. We will sometimes elect to omit information about a closer target, but one which is of no threat and is diverging.

There’s a good reason we haven’t added speech to SkyDemon until now: we wanted to wait be the first to deliver an intelligent full “pseudo lars” service, not just another “read me all traffic close to me” product.
Irv Lee, Gas Guzzler, PaulB and 5 others liked this
Tim, I think this is a truly excellent addition. Having trialled it on Beta then it certainly seems to do the job.

We just need everyone with the same Electronic Conspicuity now so that we can generate coverage like the picture on your FaceBook feed. :thumright:

Tim Dawson liked this
^^^Probably, very little as they would be pushing out FLARM most likely and the algorithm is designed to warn when close and conflicting. When you are going ‘same way, same day’ then the system is designed not to alert you. That is my own personal experience of FLARM in a K21.