Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I've been given permission by the CAA to create video versions of their Safety Sense leaflets. The first set is now uploaded and consists of leaflet No.3 Winter Flying in 5 videos.

I'm well aware my voice won't be everyone's cup of tea :) but if these videos help to pass on the advice to just a few people then it's worth doing.

Note to Moderators. I'm not being paid to do this, just spreading the safety message but if you'd prefer I didn't post such links, let me know.
Nick, PeteSpencer, Chris Martyr and 1 others liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apart from the obvious pictures better than words, it will be a really good reminder that such free things exist. Will written versions still be around too? I am thinking immediately of interceptions, clear video of that would be brilliant, but as easa or SERA or someone now demands carriage of interception signals, I often advise printing the relevant safety sense leaflet to stay within that requirement - oh yes, and digesting it before really needing it!
Redspan liked this
Nothing wrong with your voice! I like your video but I would suggest your pictures of certain aspects need to coincide with the subject EG Winter Oil and Heaters (an oil can with the grade upon it and a heater control perhaps rather than an a/c. Look forward to more, well done
Redspan liked this
Harry Brown wrote:Nothing wrong with your voice! I like your video but I would suggest your pictures of certain aspects need to coincide with the subject EG Winter Oil and Heaters (an oil can with the grade upon it and a heater control perhaps rather than an a/c. Look forward to more, well done

Thank you :)

Yes, I try to find the right pictures and clips but the royalty free options are limited so I have to work with what's available.

I'm working on the good airmanship leaflet at the moment so it should be ready in a few days.
Have you thought of taking some pictures yourself. We do a lot of laptop briefs and take picture to support the text. Flaps, Throttles Control Columns etc

I worked for a school once that had a Carbon Monoxide detector in every aircraft and every one had a big black spot in the middle, it was a standing joke, but we all seemed to have survived.

The Airmanship Guide is very dated, the picture at the start proves that, little wonder that few students read them! The layout and text are very dated. It also needs redesigning so it can be read easily on the internet.

There are many examples where the guide could be improved

It could start by defining what Airmanship actually is! First rule of teaching is to ensure the reader/student knows the aim of what the author/teacher is trying to teach you or inform you of!

A few years ago I was at an Instructor Seminar where attendees were asked the definition of Airmanship, out of 28 no one knew!

The pre EASA definition was:
To take the safest and most effective course of action in a given set of circumstances
The EASA definition is:
The consistent use of good judgement and well-developed knowledge, skills and attitudes to accomplish flight objective.

Good judgement and well developed knowledge leads to Risk Mitigation (TEM) which is not mentioned in this guide at all!

The guide refers to Weight & Balance which in the UK is now Mass & Balance.

Its description of a Deconfliction Service is poor and nothing like the CAA one
A Deconfliction Service is a surveillance based ATS where, in addition to the
provisions of a Basic Service, the controller provides specific surveillance-
derived traffic information and issues headings and/or levels aimed at achieving
planned deconfliction minima, or for positioning and/ or sequencing. However,
the avoidance of other traffic is ultimately the pilot’s responsibility.

This statement is also poor, technically incorrect and misleading.

c) A spin occurs when an aircraft is ‘out of balance’ at the stall, so always
practise keeping the ball in the centre, and do not attempt to raise a
dropped wing until all stall symptoms have been removed.

The AFE manual says - Unbalanced flight is possibly the prime factor leading to a wing drop at the stall.

The guide mentions caa safety and information notices but it doesnt mention the Mandatory Occurence Reporting Scheme, which is very educational
https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-a-r ... MORs-code/

I havnt got the time to go through them all but here are another few doubtful statements that need reviewing

NEVER descend below your Safety Altitude in IMC.
Know the aircraft thoroughly.
Remember, an IMC rating is not valid outside the UK.

There is some excellent information in this guide but it does need completely rewriting and laying out
Last edited by Harry Brown on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redspan liked this
Harry Brown wrote:Have you thought of taking some pictures yourself.

I have shot some footage and intend to shoot more when the weather improves. However, my PPL lapsed so I'll have to ask if anyone at my local field would be willing to let me film and photograph close-ups of various components and cockpit details etc. Thanks for the reminder.

Harry Brown wrote:The Airmanship Guide is very dated....

There is some excellent information in this guide but it does need completely rewriting and laying out

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumright: I will review line by line and check that link. I will update some of the phrases in my version but I don't feel sufficiently qualified to carry out a full re-write. I'll leave that to the CAA