Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Bert Presley
Perhaps, instead of painting numbers on the runway, an LCD display should be installed?

Then, as magnetic north whizzes past, the ATC staff just have to do one click on a rotary switch every morning :D
By akg1486
Bert Presley wrote:Perhaps, instead of painting numbers on the runway, an LCD display should be installed?

Then, as magnetic north whizzes past, the ATC staff just have to do one click on a rotary switch every morning :D

In areas where magnetic north shifts "fast", they use true north to indicate runway heading. To show that, the runway marking contains a "T", e.g. "32T" instead of just "32".
By akg1486
Bert Presley wrote:But that would work everywhere. Would save repainting the numbers every so often. Brilliant.

I'm going to tell whoever it is that does the ICAO thingy and say it was my idea. The money's mine. Mine, I tell you. Ha ha ha :D

I do think that ICAO is aware of it..... Can't find the regulation, but here's an example: the runways 17T/35T at Resolute Bay airport.
Bert Presley liked this
By matthew_w100
It does raise the interesting question - why do we bother designating a runway with its magnetic heading? It's just a label, and having a label you may need to change (especially if there is procedure documentation that all needs to be changed with it) can be an unnecessary PITA. The only occasion when you formally use that number is a runway/compass alignment check on take off, and does that really make it worth it?

Actually the (farm) airstrip I sometimes fly from designates the runways from 1 to 7, with the number independent of the direction we're using it. This seems to work quite satisfactorily.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just leave the numbers off:

Our strip main runway was 09/27 when it was built in 1942, but its now a definite 08/26.

But no-one can tell.

Peter :wink:
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:But a label would do that job just as well - it doesn't need to be a heading.

Not really, because you then wouldn't be able to see where it was on your DI to be able to pick out the correct one when approaching.