To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By KeithM
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anybody else having problems?

My I-pad keeps running very slowly when in this Forum causing snail- like scrolling and page loading. Also, the keypad response when typing becomes so slow and erratic as to be totally unusable! I constantly, in addition, get "This page has been reloaded because a problem occurred" which erases everything that I've spent an extended time typing!

Strangely, I am typing this on my cheap LG phone, and the keypad is working fine.

I am using both I-pad and phone whilst connected to my Virgin Wi-Fi.

So, aside from the inferior ergonomics and visual experience, how come this cheap phone seems to work better than a 400 quid I-pad?

This issue is driving me up the wall!

:evil:
By KeithM
Jim Jones,

Another thing, out of frustration I have recently reverted to to using my PC.

Shortly after loading the Forum page from the browser, I keep getting both a full screen Virgin alert that the site is unsafe, forcing me to close the browser and reload, and then followed by what appears to be a fake Microsoft virus warning! Again, I am forced to relaunch the browser and reload the page. Thereafter, no problem.

I have run a Norton security scan a number of times with no issues found. Very odd.

Coincidence?

No problems with my cheap Android phone, however, apart from an ergonomically inferior experience!

I await further comments.
By Nick
KeithM wrote:Jim Jones,

Another thing, out of frustration I have recently reverted to to using my PC.

Shortly after loading the Forum page from the browser, I keep getting both a full screen Virgin alert that the site is unsafe, forcing me to close the browser and reload, and then followed by what appears to be a fake Microsoft virus warning! Again, I am forced to relaunch the browser and reload the page. Thereafter, no problem.

I have run a Norton security scan a number of times with no issues found. Very odd.

Coincidence?

No problems with my cheap Android phone, however, apart from an ergonomically inferior experience!

I await further comments.

I keep getting the fake looking Microsoft warning and the machine freezes. This is a Dell desktop running Windows 7. Only does it when I open the forum. :? I have to use the phone.

Nick
By KeithM
Hmmm.....

On the PC now and thus far, no problems.

No Virgin site alert, no bogus Microsoft warning on the PC.

Also have I-pad running simultaneously and that now seems fine too.

I notice, however, that the ads are missing from the right column whilst "scheduled maintenance" is taking place. It says "check back in a minute". Been here for half an hour now. Nothing has changed. Ads are still missing. PC and I-pad still fine.

Fair to assume that the ads were/are the problem?

Coincidence or did somebody spot my thread? :)

Onward and upward, we hope!
By KeithM
Ads just came back and all seems fine at the moment.

Typing this on I-pad. Seems back to normal.

Progress bar now back to a sensible speed instead of a crawl!

Thank you, Mr/Mrs Fixer for returning my sanity which had been under serious threat!
By KeithM
I-pad slowing again on occasions though not quite as bad as previously.

Page reloaded automatically again after “error” occurred, then fine again!

Think I’ll give it a few days now before passing judgement but it does seem to be the ads column that is the problem.

Other comments welcome!
By KeithM
Well, I was going to reserve judgement but the I-pad is back to its "Flyer Forum" hating self again!

PC, however, is still fine with no "dodgy website" warnings!

So, a partial result and frustration continues.

Not too bothered about the phone because I rarely use it for data, anyway, and I dislike the tiny screen experience!

Had hoped for some further input because I'm feeling quite lonely and victimised at present! :(
By KeithM
TheKentishFledgling wrote:The tech folk are aware!

Thanks for that info!

Am I to assume that you are well connected in a different sense? :)

Using the phone now. Not the best device and it rapidly eats the battery but considerably less erratic and jerky than the I-pad!

Prettty convinced it is a website issue of some kind.

Standing by! :)
KeithM wrote:Had hoped for some further input because I'm feeling quite lonely and victimised at present! :(

You are not alone, my ipad is horrendous too.

Have so many unread posts now because life is too short to spend so much time reading so little with the slow down and reloading of pages. :twisted:

Could someone drop me a pm when its sorted please?

Thanks
KeithM liked this
By KeithM
I am no expert in these matters but it does seem to be the ads or, rather, whatever it is that hosts the ads is still not very friendly with Safari and/or iOS.

During the recent maintenance shut down of the ads column the I-pad was flying! (Not literally!).

I have no such problems on another forum, which also carries a similar style of advertising.

I suspect that some progress has been made because the PC (on it again now) is no longer throwing up warnings every time I load "Flyer Forum".

And I've now figured out where the "quote" shortcut on my mobile phone is!

So, hopefully, that's two down, just one to go!