Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Last March I was converting my NPPL to a LAPL and missed signing the form.
I was on holiday at the time and saw the CAA email when I was visiting a friend.
So I printed off the form, which they had attached, signed it, scanned it, and sent it back. I also posted the original.
And about a week later had the LAPL.

Maybe PPLs are different, but in my case all they did was put the application into hold for a day or two.
Deltapapa24 liked this
ChrisRowland wrote:Last March I was converting my NPPL to a LAPL and missed signing the form.
I was on holiday at the time and saw the CAA email when I was visiting a friend.
So I printed off the form, which they had attached, signed it, scanned it, and sent it back. I also posted the original.
And about a week later had the LAPL.

And unfortunately in the event of a no deal Brexit, as is looking increasingly likely, it seems the LAPL will be of no more use than an NPPL...The LAPL will be UK use only.
PapaEchoNovember wrote:Maybe the update on the Week commencing the 21st will be

We understand that delays are frustrating for applicants. We are working hard to bring the turnaround time down and we will provide an update in the week commencing 28 January 2019.

Nope, the text mentioning the update has just been removed

We understand that delays are frustrating for applicants and we are working hard to bring the turnaround time down.
Gentoo wrote:Sorry, what I mean is when is 'application'?

Is it a case of the money being taken out around 10 weeks in and then they start processing? Or do they take the money when they get the application in the post.

I submitted payment online when I sent the application. I think, it was that long ago...
I sent mine on 21st December ("received" by the CAA on 2nd Jan although it was delivered on 24th) - I called the CAA this morning and they said it was still 'waiting to be seen by a licencing officer'.

Good to see I'm not the only one who's been waiting, looks like I've got a while to go :( !
Good news my PPL finally arrived through Fedex today! Almost worth the wait... aha!

So submitted my license on 27th November

Payment taken on 6th February

And took delivery on 8th February

SO in answer to my own original question yes the CAA does shut down for 2-3 weeks over the Christmas period it would seem.

And that is how long a PPL application is taking at the moment. Hope that helps.

And thank you all for your helpful kind comments along the way!

DeltaPapa24 Out.
Good news! (for me and everyone who has applied for a PPL).

My application was effectively sent 3rd January and today, after 26/27th working day, I got a response from CAA requesting examiner licence and medical (non UK examiner, whoops! ).

Looks like their "up to 28 working days" is pretty accurate.