Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I remember being confused when Air Canada introduced their new 'green tail' livery, in that it appears blue. But I was assured by the Air Canada rep that 'it looks blue, but it is actually green' .... quite philosophical point, how can a colour be different than how it looks?
By Dave W
Like this: Is the dress blue or gold?

Or this - tiles A & B are the same shade of grey:

Or this - The "brown" tile in the centre of the top face and the "yellow" tile in the centre of the side facing slightly to the left are the same colour.
Tim Dawson liked this
By ozplane
I remember overhearing a couple of BA stewards, while waiting to collect my bags at Nairobi, just after the amalgamation and one said to the other that "that new logo makes us look likeb8888y British Rail". Not far off.
By mo0g
PaulSS wrote:What a complete and utter waste of money. An absolutely pointless exercise that adds nothing to the bottom line and, as pointed out by Iceman, flies in the face of a uniform and smart looking fleet. The hodge podge of awful tails we used to fly were embarrassing and cost BA a fortune in fees for the artists and it was SO good when the switch was made to all aircraft with the Chatham tail (and Ayling getting the boot).

Apart from appealing to a bunch of spotters, getting all hot and bothered under their parkers and some old farts reminiscing from their armchairs about the good old days of BOAC, I think this just detracts from the BA corporate image, is totally unnecessary and will just cost more money when they have to paint it again in the 'normal' colours........if it makes it that far as it'll probably be parked in the desert by then.

1) Do we know if that aircraft was due a respray anyway or not?
2) BOAC livery is beautiful, even today - dark blue and gold.
3) It is a centenary celebration, therefore not unusual or surprising that some history is remembered and celebrated.

Having said that, if I had the choice of flying on a BOAC liveried 747 or one of the fleet of anonymous airbus/boeing BA aircraft, I would spend more on the former. Perhaps there is money in the bunch of spotters and reminiscing old farts?

:)
By PaulSS
Having said that, if I had the choice of flying on a BOAC liveried 747 or one of the fleet of anonymous airbus/boeing BA aircraft, I would spend more on the former

Really? You'd pay extra money to walk down a jetway, not see the paint scheme you've paid extra for, sit in a seat INSIDE where you can't see the livery and then disembark through a similar jetway, where you still can't see the paint scheme?

If that's true and not just hyperbole I've got a bridge I can sell you :D
Iceman, plus7g, Nick liked this
By JoeC
There's a value to brands. brands are emotional constructs - colour, memory, experience. All the of the most valuable companies in the world are valued on their brand - their perceived value. This BA thing is just another very small part of maintaining that brand perception and therefore value. Doesn't matter where you're sat, it's what's in your mind that counts. :thumright:
plus7g, AshleyFlynn23 liked this
By plus7g
It wont take long before engine cowlings , panels, doors , fairings, etc get borrowed from a non BOAC painted aircraft and it starts to look like a christmas tree... I think there are still some airbuses flying with the Olympic Dove paint ( well parts of it anyway)
cirrostratus liked this
By patowalker
PaulSS wrote:Really? You'd pay extra money to walk down a jetway, not see the paint scheme you've paid extra for, sit in a seat INSIDE where you can't see the livery and then disembark through a similar jetway, where you still can't see the paint scheme?

I pay to walk down a jetway, but on morning arrivals at T5 that airline invariably insists I walk down steps to board a bus with large windows, so I get a good view of the paint scheme.
By Wide-Body
PaulSS wrote:
Really? You'd pay extra money to walk down a jetway, not see the paint scheme you've paid extra for, sit in a seat INSIDE where you can't see the livery and then disembark through a similar jetway, where you still can't see the paint scheme?

Says the man who flies for the same company that paint their aircraft like R2D2 and BB8 :twisted: :twisted: :D :D
By mo0g
PaulSS wrote:
Having said that, if I had the choice of flying on a BOAC liveried 747 or one of the fleet of anonymous airbus/boeing BA aircraft, I would spend more on the former

Yes I would, but I would also ideally want the livery extended inside the cabin, and I'd probably board with an empty travel bag and leave with a full one!

I don't know if it is a consequence of my age, but I love that BOAC brand/livery more, I think off the top of my head, than any other.
By neilmurg
Chris Martyr wrote:
Iceman wrote:Didn't BA try this misguided, expensive exercise some years ago when painting their aircraft tails like something out of a child's sketch pad ?
You're damn right there Iceman ! And the only person who had the balls to rail against it was a little old lady with a handbag
I remember when it were all fields round 'ere, and they call it progress! Humbug!
By AshleyFlynn23
I believe there is a few liveries planned. I did read elsewhere the Negus livery and Landor livery are also going to be applied. Another livery was also mentioned but with no details.
Looking forward to seeing them all. My understanding is that the B747's that get the liveries will keep them until retirement.
By PaulSS
Says the man who flies for the same company that paint their aircraft like R2D2 and BB8 :twisted: :twisted: :D :D

:oops: :oops: Too right, it's bleeding' emabarassing even seeing one parked next me :D The Japanese act like a bunch of school children with carp like that. If it's not that it's some silly cartoon like Pikachu or similar. They reckon it's meant to be R2D2 but it just looks like a blob of blue and a bunch of random lines to me. Complete bolleaux to my mind.

Given the choice I'd have the BOAC scheme over some poxy kids' drawing but would rather just one design for the whole airline, with no add-ons or 'specials' which detract from a uniform image.
By Chris Martyr
JonathanB wrote:Meanwhile Shamrock... err I mean Aer Lingus are rebranding.

Wow,,!! Now there's a real bit of thought-out 're-branding'.

Right fellas ,,,,,now let's rebrand our green/white fuselages with a shamrock on the tail and transform our corporate image by repainting the fleet with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,green/white fuselages with a shamrock on the tail.... :roll: . Mr M. O' Leary must be laughing his leprechaun head off.

One of my all-time favourite airline liveries was the old American Airlines one. Polished aluminium fus. with the thin blue/white/red stripe along it . What do they go and do ? Waste millions by changing to some bland , trendy colour combo which will only become outdated in a few years .

Why do they all do it ? :pale:

In defence of BA's B747 though . Am I correct in thinking that it is only one aircraft that is going to get the 'classic livery' ? In which case , then I reckon it makes sense , especially as its planned retirement date is 4 yrs away . I'm sure the bean counters will have factored in the planned checks and hangar inputs and it may well have been due for a repaint during that time anyway .
Last edited by Chris Martyr on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.