Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
According to various news reports a PA46 with two on board, flying from Nantes to Cardiff, went missing from radar. Search started sometime around 20.30.

Hope they're found OK

Ian
ClearOfCloud liked this
By Pudnucker
Horrible.. pitch black for touch down.. I reeled back through Planefinder, the Lee On Solent helicopter was on scene approx an hour after radar contact was lost. I always assumed that there was a locally based SAR heli in the CI.. makes one think about beefing up the survival kit somewhat if in the water for that time.. I hope for a miraculous rescue but sadly looks like a slim possibility :-(
By AlanM
The only airborne SAR asset in the Channel Islands is the Channel Islands Air Search islander - which is in fact not completely operational at this time. Newquay and Lee on solent are the nearest UK assets - although there is a French SAR helicopter near Cherbourg.
By yappmeister
Pudnucker wrote:I always assumed that there was a locally based SAR heli in the CI..

Channel Islands Air Search (G-BEXJ) Islander was airborne last night on flight radar. Not sure how operational it was as it is only a temp aircraft until they get their new one, but assume it was doing something useful.

Hoping for a positive outcome, as narrow as the chances may be.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PA 46 would be FIKI equipped and that search area is between Alderney and the Casquets, from 5000ft he should have been able to get to Alderney, very strange.....
By Lockhaven
Iceman wrote:The BBC article states that it was at 5000 ft and requesting descent. That's pretty low for that type of aircraft.

Iceman

Unless they were not instrument rated so maybe staying below CAS.