The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My Bose ANR has stopped working on one earpiece to be replaced by crackling and clicking.

Anyone got any advice regarding getting it mended - straight to Bose or a 3rd party headset repairer ?

I tried contacting Bose via their website but so far no reply !

Do they have a long warranty or is it the usual 1 year ?
By Flying_john
Thankyou - phew that wasn't as painful as expected.

After going round in circles on their website, I phone their customer support which after a few button presses got me to a call centre in the USA. After some accent difficulties my headset serial number was looked up and happy days, still under warranty (5yrs). Within 5 mins I had a UPS label emailed to me and a reference number and said headset is now winging its way to Belgium to their repair centre.

Only drawback is 4 week turnaround, so have to use a spare pair for a while.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By GSE
There is a safety recall for faulty A20 leads. Its not widely published and for my problem Bose initially denied there was a problem with the leads (which actually is a common problem), however I found the recall Bose PDF on the internet with a bit of googling, and Bose reluctantly admitted it. (it did make me laugh when talking to the customer service representative, who spent ages denying it, for me to then produce the recall and they had to back pedal) It is serial number dependent, so if you have an A20 I would check it and get the new leads fitted free ASAP.

Although Bose deny there is a lead problem that usually affects one ear, the new replacement lead is "upgraded" The leads to buy are outrageously expensive, and you can buy 2 new standard headsets for the price of just the lead. Having spent £2K on headsets I found the customer service sadly lacking for a premium product.

If you have any intermittent problems before the 5 year warrantee expires, make sure you get it attended to before it runs out, as otherwise they quickly become scrap. They work nicely, but the build quality is pretty poor. My ear covers also wore out in about 200 hours.
Best wishes

Glen
By Peter Mundy
GSE wrote:There is a safety recall for faulty A20 leads. It is serial number dependent, so if you have an A20 I would check it and get the new leads fitted free ASAP.

Although Bose deny there is a lead problem that usually affects one ear, the new replacement lead is "upgraded" The leads to buy are outrageously expensive, and you can buy 2 new standard headsets for the price of just the lead. Having spent £2K on headsets I found the customer service sadly lacking for a premium product.

If you have any intermittent problems before the 5 year warrantee expires, make sure you get it attended to before it runs out, as otherwise they quickly become scrap. They work nicely, but the build quality is pretty poor. My ear covers also wore out in about 200 hours.
Best wishes

Glen

The recall was some 7 years ago
The leads are expensive - 300 Euro for the bluetooth, 200 Euro for the standard. 200 Euro will not buy much in the way of 2 standard headsets.

Build quality - I see very few Bose headsets for repair in comparison with other leading manufacturers

200 hours is probably 5 years use for the average pilot. I see plenty of ear seals from other makes which don't last 50 hours. Nobody covers ear seals under warranty
By Flying_john
Well good news for me today, my broken headset was returned repaired from Belgium and the whole thing has only taken a week !.

They not only made the repair but changed the cosmetic bits, Earcups, Mic sponge, headband etc all FOC and with a Form 1.

So from me its 10/10 for warranty customer service and all transported via UPS door to door.

Oh and they put a new set of batteries in too.
Rob P, Peter Mundy liked this