For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Looking opal some of the responses on the previous page, there are a number of Gaelic examples cited. I’m wondering if some of these are dictionary words or whether some are just slang.

If they are the former, they need to be added the the lexicographer linked from the OP. It’s deficient in (Scottish) Gaelic examples.

Edited to add a direct link to the aforementioned lexicographer

https://hifisamurai.github.io/lexicography/
New compilation of Yorkshire dialect words, some from old sources:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-46892232

Newfoundland English is an interesting mixture of West Country English, Irish, Breton, Basque, Norman French, Portuguese etc; ie, reflecting the oldest deep sea fishing nations of western Europe. In Labrador there is also an admixture of Innu and Inuit words. Additionally, it was within a couple of generations ago one of the anglophone areas with, in the isolated outports, some of the least provision for formal education. One consequence is some unique neologisms, often portmanteau or malapropisms, and a continuing tradition of producing new ones.

Roald Dahl, as a schoolboy, visited isolated parts of the island in the '30s, on a joint schools expedition. I have long wondered if what he heard there prompted him later in his childrens' books to coin so many apposite nonsense words.
Fundi, a Bantu word.

It could be loosely translated into English as "expert" or "professional" or "keen enthusiast"...there is no proper translation. You have to go to Africa to see one at work to understand what it means!

Rob
I have long been a fan of Jewish humour. Very sharp. Very funny.

For example: 'Chutzpah' - which means something like 'infernal cheek'. The word is defined thusly:

A defendant is on trial for the grisly murder of his parents. His tearful and emotional defence is to beg for mercy from the court for being an orphan.

Brilliant.
cockney steve liked this
Thought of another one, "thrawn", meaning along the lines of obstinate, perverse, bloody-minded, only more so, and without any of those words' redeeming connotations.

(OK, I know the etymology is from Middle English, but the word is not known /in desuetude in modern Standard English)

Bill H

PS The best example of "thrawn" I've heard of is the young girl who absolutely refused to take the laxative prescribed by the GP; eventually she was cajoled into taking it "for her granny's sake" saying, "All right I'll take it, but I'll no' **** ! "

Edited to add - For the auto-donked **** please read Sierra Hotel India Tango
Recently I stumbled upon a word "waldeinsamkeit". It's on German and the meaning is 'the feeling of solitude and connectedness to nature when being alone in the woods'. Interesting meaning. Have you experienced this feeling? Even my friend essay writer didn't know the meaning of this word (although he lived in Germany during his studies).
And how about that - "forelsket" - the euphoria experienced as you begin to fall in love. One of the best feelings in the world. Cool, that there are words that describe this.