Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For reference, and for a comparison of depicted terrain, the village of Ezzeril referenced in my previous SD plot is the village in the bottom left of that terrain picture.

Iceman
By Mike Charlie
RVU sadly languishes less cabin door (but covered) at an airfield in East Anglia. The group having disbanded with a disgruntled former share owner/ member having removed said door in lieu of a refund dispute rendering her non flyable
By GolfHotel
PeteSpencer wrote:......
Our 430W certainly has terrain as standard when installed 5 years ago which manifests itself a bright red and yellow markings and shouty text when landing....

Peter

I find the terrain alerts very comforting when getting into a mountainous area for a landing. The map is clear and unambiguous. And I like the shouty warning etc.

But don’t get any on landing. That would be a bit distracting. It might be worth checking for a setting to tickle.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Ridders
Yesterday we learned of this tragedy involving DH, which has been upsetting for both myself and Caz. We, along with many others I am sure, are going deeply to miss him.
We knew DH only a relatively short time (some 9 years) but I learnt so very much from him with every interaction - tips, hints, his experience and knowledge he liked to share, we worked together on my aircraft several times over the years and he had the uncanny ability to diagnose problems over the phone - once I remember him identifying a worrying noise, that I thought was a major engine problem. ‘Go inspect all the baffles, its almost certainly going to be that’. I didn’t believe it, but he was right of course.

There is a big hole in the aviation world with the loss of DH.

Thoughts to the relatives of both people involved in this tragic incident.
G-BLEW, Chris Martyr, ChampChump and 3 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
GolfHotel wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:......
Our 430W certainly has terrain as standard when installed 5 years ago which manifests itself a bright red and yellow markings and shouty text when landing....

Peter

I find the terrain alerts very comforting when getting into a mountainous area for a landing. The map is clear and unambiguous. And I like the shouty warning etc.

But don’t get any on landing. That would be a bit distracting. It might be worth checking for a setting to tickle.

You get those when you are landing at a non aerodrome site.
GrahamB, Waveflyer, letpmar liked this
By GolfHotel
PeteSpencer wrote:Certainly get them all the time at Knettishall: In E Angular we don't see too many mountains.

Peter

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:You get those when you are landing at a non aerodrome site.

I don't get then when landing. It make no difference if the 430W knows its an airport or not. Do get them without asking when near the ground but not landing. I have no idea how it knows the difference. I would guess its based on speed.
By CloudHound
Agree Chris,

But don’t be too harsh. We all deal with this differently. I didn’t know Dianne Oxberry personally but her death has affected me more than I would have ever thought.

I met Simon Moores a few times but only spoke to David on the phone. So why a weather girl’s death can reduce me to tears but fellow aviators demise jus make me sad is a mystery.

Like many of these deaths, spin off threads that help us cope by discussing the ins and outs tend to follow and I trust the Mods to pick the right time to do this.

Meanwhile, let everyone here use coping strategies that work in their particular circumstances.
Bobcro, G-BLEW liked this
By avtur3
CloudHound wrote:
.... But don’t be too harsh. We all deal with this differently. I didn’t know Dianne Oxberry personally but her death has affected me more than I would have ever thought. ....

Me too, I'm a boy from the northwest all my 62+ years until moving to Sussex a few months ago. I've been more affected by news of Dianne's passing than any other 'public' person, through both TV and radio I really felt I knew her, she was a diamond.

I didn't know either of the two gents lost in Spain, but it is clear from the reactions of those that did know them, that their loss will cause considerable pain to a great many people.

As has been said, we all deal with loss in different ways, if people find it appropriate to comment on such a loss here on this forum then that's fine. We all cope in different ways.
Apparently a picture taken on the fateful flight. The GNS430 indicates about 15nm North East of Cascais, and I'll speculate about 3hrs to run to LESO.

I'll leave it to the audience to speculate but there's something of interest.

Original Tweet at

PeteSpencer liked this