For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
.........twice in the last two weeks at local Tesco after something on my person set off the alarm: Very embarrassing.

I think it's our burglar alarm quick setting tag on my keyring which I guess is a kind of chip which setting off the mechanism.

Other possibilites are Mercedes 'keyless go' fob (put new batteries in it recently) or the electric garage door switch: but I think this is 'passive' and has been on my keyring for 2 years sans problem. Could my mobile phone do this?

Any suggestions? We've had a rash of burglaries all round us recently so I 'm not about to discontinue the use of our alarm, so will continue to carry the tag.

Yesterday i went up to the security guard and showed him the fob before exiting with my shopping and setting off the alarm again: ( He hadn't batted an eyelid when the alarm went off on entry earlier)

Same thing happened at Waitrose but I didn't stop and no-one approached me....

Peter :roll:
By stevelup
It'll be your alarm tag I reckon. I've got two RFID dongles on my keys, and they both set off shop alarms. So I leave my keys in the car now and just take my car key with me!
By Trent772
Harrogate still keep refusing Tesco planning permission for a supermarket here.

We are happy with Waitrose and Ocado thanks :mrgreen:
By PeteSpencer
Bill Haddow wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:.........twice in the last two weeks at local Tesco after something on my person set off the alarm: Very embarrassing.

Peter :roll:

Being found shopping at Tesco - embarrassing indeed. :snooty:

Bill H

I’m not proud : I also go to Aldi (and Waitrose-Try their new Winslade cheese from Hampshire next time you’re in it’s a Camembert style) very tasty .

Peter
By Bill Haddow
PeteSpencer wrote:
(and Waitrose-Try their new Winslade cheese from Hampshire next time you’re in it’s a Camembert style)

Peter

£6-50 for 230g ! Where do they think they are ? Edinburgh ?

Bill H (whose refrigerator and cupboards are well stocked with divers cheeses hoovered up from the supermarkets' compost corners of post Festive marked down stock - e.g. whole Stilton, 1kg, £2-50 :thumleft: )
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By JonathanB
I think my Apple Watch keeps setting alarms off - can't think what else it would be!
By riverrock
I have an RFID tag for my house alarm and have never had an issue in a shop. However I don't shop in Tescos :)

Most door sensors can detect multiple types of security tags.
RFID labels can be used for security but most items with a chip only respond when the correct request is fired at them, to stop false positives.

The tags are generally dumb - they either disrupt an EM field or respond when charged up via induction, emmitting a signal or EM resonance can be detected. The sensors are generally not particularly sensitive, so next time you're bored near a shop, move different things near to the sensors to see which thing sets them off. You might find that an internal tag wasn't deactivated in some clothing at purchase. Some tags are designed to be deactivated automatically by tills when passed through them (30cm range) but if using self serve the whole item may not have got close enough to the pad.

I know some people who worked in shops used to put security labels on each other's shoes when they weren't watching :twisted:
By PeteSpencer
riverrock wrote:I have an RFID tag for my house alarm and have never had an issue in a shop. However I don't shop in Tescos :)

Yeah, but it goes off in Waitrose too :roll:

bleedin' snob.

Peter
riverrock liked this
By davey
I have a leather belt with quite a large buckle and it set the alarm off in Sainsburys everytime I went in/out.
I don't wear it anymore......

Also, in December we bought our daughter a Regatta top from a local store, when we got home it still had the security tag pinned on it, and no the alarm didn't go off. We had to take it back to get it removed and it didn't set the alarm off then either :?