Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oi, you lot! I'm the one with "extremely grumpy" in his signature :twisted:

I love this thread, title and all. Well done Eloeyes and her instructor and cameraman :D

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By lobstaboy
Lovely!

I do think it's great that someone can pilot an aeroplane solo at a younger age than they can drive a car.

Incidentally I've always found young people a joy to teach. They are used to learning and can soak up new knowledge and skills like a sponge. Not like most of us...
Dave W, Flyin'Dutch', kanga and 1 others liked this
By Kremen
I do hope that the young lady will be able to maintain her licence through to her retirement. I was in a similar position many decades ago but had to let the licence lapse - now in my dotage how I do regret that.
mick w liked this
By cotterpot
The earliest she'll be able to apply for her full licence is on her 17th birthday. According to the Civil Aviation Authority only 16 pilot licences for planes were held by 17-year-olds in 2017.

Will she receive her licence before she is 18? Current waiting times for CAA issue are a disgrace. See the Studes forum.
By TheKentishFledgling
cotterpot wrote:
The earliest she'll be able to apply for her full licence is on her 17th birthday. According to the Civil Aviation Authority only 16 pilot licences for planes were held by 17-year-olds in 2017.

Will she receive her licence before she is 18? Current waiting times for CAA issue are a disgrace. See the Studes forum.

FWIW when I was in her position, I sent the licence application in way ahead of my birthday, I didn’t hear a thing until the morning of my 17th (a Sunday) when I got a phone call from a security guard at Aviation House wishing me a very happy birthday, and also telling me my licence was ready to collect if I could get to Gatwick - I could but needed to scrounge a lift :)

There are some good folk at the CAA :thumleft:
Dave W, mick w, Ben K liked this
By PeteSpencer
kanga wrote:Picked up by BBC :thumright:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... g-to-drive

At least the BBC got it journalistically correct and haven't already awarded her a licence ,like the shower down south did!

Peter
PS My son got his PPL courtesy of RAF Flying Scholarship age 17 and got his driving licence 6 months later
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MarkOlding
At least the BBC got it journalistically correct and haven't already awarded her a licence ,like the sower down south did!

Peter
PS My son got his PPL courtesy of RAF Flying Scholarship age 17 and got his driving licence 6 months later[/quote]

Well you can ride a moped at 16 on the roads so not sure how correct they are - bit pedantic but .....

All the same, well done to the lady in question.