Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They were there because they are supposed to be there. Its a designated customs & immigration airport. No different to Heathrow or Gatwick - well, except for the Drones of course... :wink:
It's a funny thing nowadays, even at a customs airport, they still want a GAR. I once went to Lydd on a diversion going into L2K from the south, noting the customs as per AD hours, only to find immigration on duty because a commercial flight had arrived but no customs. I had previously given a talk on AFPEX procedures with the particular immigration officer a few weeks before (shows how long ago this was) and she made some phone calls and let me in. She explained that although someone from Border Force is usually there for commercials, it is often immigration only if the commercial flight is passenger only and from a country within the customs union. I wonder if this will be problematic once we throw away customs union membership.
gasman wrote:
Tropical John2 wrote:. UKBF took 2 hours searching aircraft , equipment and baggage and made it pretty clear they would like to receive a GAR form next time :D

What a productive use of UKBF time :roll:

The lack of a GAR is an instant red card to the BF and will always result in a visit.
See project Pegasus for deatails about suspicious activity. The lack of a GAR is at the top of the list!
By skydriller
Is it me?

I thought that the whole point of a GAR was that you tell BF who/what/where/when/how so that you dont have to go to an international airport. Alternatively you can go to an international airport where they will obviously be there to check you because thats why they are there??

Why are some on here surprised that BF/Customs/immigration etc might actually do their job?
kanga liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:Is it me?

Yes! it's you!

Anyway, back to the question...

skydriller wrote:I thought that the whole point of a GAR was that you tell BF who/what/where/when/how so that you dont have to go to an international airport. Alternatively you can go to an international airport where they will obviously be there to check you because thats why they are there??

The rules changed a year or two ago, and you now have to submit a GAR even if you go to a customs airport. A friend of mine didn't know the new rule and was charged an extra sum of £53 at Southend where he thought he'd call in and clear customs, not having a way to file a GAR where he was.
By Flyin'Dutch'
gasman wrote:UKBF are always complaining about their lack of resources.
Surely their activity should be intelligence lead.
I would prioritise checking lorries at ports over light GA aircraft (on a FPL but without a GAR) landing at an international airport.

Checking aeroplanes arriving who have demonstrated that they cannot stick to the rules seems a very sensible intelligence lead starting point.
kanga, skydriller liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Checking aeroplanes arriving who have demonstrated that they cannot stick to the rules seems a very sensible intelligence lead starting point.

Though only they seem to know what the rules are! The need for a GAR to be submitted to an airport with customs on site isn't well known even in this country, let alone to foreign aircraft flying in.
skydriller liked this
Although UKBF are one body, Customs and Immigration are still two separate units within. You can often get away with immigration only while travelling from Europe now because our aircraft generally don't carry cargo and we have a free movement of goods arrangement with the EU. We didn't join Schengen so we need immigration. After leaving the customs union both will need to be onsite for checks.
kanga wrote:
gasman wrote:I wonder how many people smugglers file a flight plan and land at an international airport?

Difficult to estimate, obviously, but I'd guess very few, as very few come by air, because

you can get far more people and stuff in a boat,
which is easier and cheaper to procure, and
easier to move and arrive undetected, and
legitimate travellers by private boat face far fewer administration hurdles.

But, obviously, this is mere speculation

The disparity in requirements for notification when arriving by boat vs. aircraft is just ridiculous - by boat, with EU nationals on board from an EU origin port, no need to tell anyone at all. If you arrive with some non-EU nationals on board, or you sailed from a non-EU-country, you just phone after arriving, the National Yachtline and you might have to file the C1331 form (bit like a GAR) - but that's after you have arrived - no advanced notice requirements! In an aircraft (for non-eu pax/origin) 24 hours notice and you need to wait for affirmation that your GAR has been filed/acknowladged/approved - or four hours for EU pax/origin.

So regardless of Schengen/EU, whatever, just sail a boat into a little harbour in Cornwall and do what you want with as many passengers as you want if they've all got EU-passports.

Post-Brexit though, who knows - nobody's worked that out yet!
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
skydriller wrote:Is it me?

Yes! it's you!

Somehow I thought it might be...I have only ever used small aerodromes in the UK as opposed to hypergalactic spaceports with similar charges, so I guess I didnt notice.
WingsOff wrote: .... and you need to wait for affirmation that your GAR has been filed/acknowladged/approved ....

Have never received a acknowledgement or approval from UKBF - don't think it is their policy to reply to filing of a GAR.
Freeflight wrote:Many moons ago, there was a guy who used to fly the odd non-EU national into Elstree at dawn or dusk, stop close to the woods, wherever that was, open the aircraft and they'd run out into the bushes - he was caught I should add...

He clearly should have used a boat.
gasman liked this
By patowalker
Tropical John2 wrote:
WingsOff wrote: .... and you need to wait for affirmation that your GAR has been filed/acknowladged/approved ....

Have never received a acknowledgement or approval from UKBF - don't think it is their policy to reply to filing of a GAR.

OnlineGAR provides a submission confirmation.
Form Submission Confirmation
Make sure you carry the receipt number with you, either print this, or have this email downloaded to your phone. This form has been uploaded to the UK Border Force CBP System. If queried, advise officers to look at CBP, and provide the Receipt Number.