Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Joe Dell wrote:Isn't it true that the filing of a GAR is only a request from the authorities? It's not a Statutory requirement, so compliance is not mandatory? Non-compliance can result in little more than finger wagging?

Photo shows a "little finger wagging" underway at Humberside. Delivery pilot friend of mine stopped for fuel on route France to Faroes and forgot to file GAR form. UKBF took 2 hours searching aircraft , equipment and baggage and made it pretty clear they would like to receive a GAR form next time :D
skydriller wrote:In the UK AIP for Humberside Airport it says:

Customs & Immigration: As AD Hrs.

Just sayin....

Can you explain (for non-UK based pilot)? How do CIQ opening hours affect having to submit a GAR? Don't quite get your banter!
There is no clarity on any proposed changes for filing GARs to the UK authorities, but there is a genuine concern that in a 'no-deal' scenario, at some point it may be that the current 4 hours notice for EU flights might be changed to 24 hours as per all the non-EU flights that come in today. That's a pretty fundemental change and can be of great inconvieniance to the 'go now' and last minute air taxi or charter crowd for instance.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gasman wrote:
Tropical John2 wrote:. UKBF took 2 hours searching aircraft , equipment and baggage and made it pretty clear they would like to receive a GAR form next time :D

What a productive use of UKBF time :roll:

Yes - a perfectly good use of their time - and what they are there to do. (Stop illegal goods or people entering the UK).

Do you really advocate that there should be no checks - and that any old terrorist or people smuggler should be able to load up a small plane and land anywhere in the UK without being checked?
kanga, Shoestring Flyer, Hawkwind and 1 others liked this
Lefty wrote:
gasman wrote:
Tropical John2 wrote:. UKBF took 2 hours searching aircraft , equipment and baggage and made it pretty clear they would like to receive a GAR form next time :D

What a productive use of UKBF time :roll:

Yes - a perfectly good use of their time - and what they are there to do. (Stop illegal goods or people entering the UK).

Do you really advocate that there should be no checks - and that any old terrorist or people smuggler should be able to load up a small plane and land anywhere in the UK without being checked?

To be clear, N490AG was not complaining! Stop in UK, have to follow UK rules (same as every other country). Just observing remorsefully that is what can happen if you forget to file a GAR form when landing in UK (even for a short refuelling stop), and making a note not to forget next time. Could do without another UKBF "finger wagging". :thumleft:
kanga, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
gasman wrote:I wonder how many people smugglers file a flight plan and land at an international airport?

Difficult to estimate, obviously, but I'd guess very few, as very few come by air, because

you can get far more people and stuff in a boat,
which is easier and cheaper to procure, and
easier to move and arrive undetected, and
legitimate travellers by private boat face far fewer administration hurdles.

But, obviously, this is mere speculation
PaulB, skydriller, johnm and 1 others liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
kanga wrote:
Full Metal Jackass wrote:The joy of holding dual nationalities..... :D :D :D

.. or, sometimes, peril:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46757119 :roll:

I have personal notional rights to at least 2 non-UK nationalities; I would rather the relevant Governments be not reminded of this .. :? Unfortunately, the at least 3 EU27 countries which would once have given me nationality on (distant) 'ancestral' grounds have during my lifetime considerably tightened their rules with the effect of excluding me.

Interesting report not because what it reports, rather in what it doesn't report - eg it glosses over how he got Irish citizenship, etc. Additionally, I've been to Moscow, have pictures of myself on Red Square, found my way there and back to the Hotel without issue using the Metro so why that point - that he was expected to help other Americans who'd never been there before - was raised as a reason for being in Russia is beyond me - after all, if you can jump through all the hoops to gain a visa to enter Russia, then getting a ticket to Red Square via Metro is simple.

Concerning dual nationality, when I was given my second citizenship I was told that if I had problems and needed consular assistance I cannot expect all consuls to support me - I would have to choose one and that one should help to the exclusion of all others.
By Full Metal Jackass
Tropical John2 wrote:
Joe Dell wrote:Isn't it true that the filing of a GAR is only a request from the authorities? It's not a Statutory requirement, so compliance is not mandatory? Non-compliance can result in little more than finger wagging?

Photo shows a "little finger wagging" underway at Humberside. Delivery pilot friend of mine stopped for fuel on route France to Faroes and forgot to file GAR form. UKBF took 2 hours searching aircraft , equipment and baggage and made it pretty clear they would like to receive a GAR form next time :D

I made the mistake of deciding to fly to Lydd on the spur of the moment to partake of some Sunday Brunch. I submitted the flight plans but didn't submit a GAR. Upon landing in Lydd, I realised my mistake and as I taxied to parking, two officers from Border Force approached so I held my hands up and told them it was an honest oversight, forgetting to submit it. They asked whether I had ever filed one previously (which I confirmed) and whether I had any possibility of retrospectively sending one immediately, which I did. I took my laptop into the cafe, updated the template and sent it off. They were very friendly, no real issues, I didn't feel as if they were telling me off, more they felt embarrassed by the waste of time and effort.....
kanga liked this
By skydriller
They were very friendly, no real issues, I didn't feel as if they were telling me off, more they felt embarrassed by the waste of time and effort.....

Official UK AIP Plate for Lydd : Customs & Immigration - As AD hours.
By Full Metal Jackass
skydriller wrote:
They were very friendly, no real issues, I didn't feel as if they were telling me off, more they felt embarrassed by the waste of time and effort.....

Official UK AIP Plate for Lydd : Customs & Immigration - As AD hours.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

What does the AIP Plate have to do with forgetting to file a GAR?