For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
masterofnone wrote:Hint: GA pilot forums may not be the most comprehensive source of info on consumer audio kit :wink:

https://www.whathifi.com/amp/best-buys/headphones/best-noise-cancelling-headphones

:lol:

Surely you jest?

What HiFi is an absolute joke in the industry.

Whilst reviewing a HDMI cable, What HiFi wrote:FOR: Capable grasp of colour
AGAINST: Sound, motion handling, sharpness

Compared with a ThatCable HDMI (£5), this served up a thin and brittle sound, while motion handling, picture noise and sharpness of images also fell woefully short of what we’d expect – even at this price.

Utter, utter, utter carp.
Have had various Bose, Sennheiser and Shure in ear and over ear, but once you've gone wireless NR you won't go back to wires and noise.

Currently using QC35 mk2 & QuietControl 30 (because they doesn't mess up her hair :)) and both have excellent NR and good audio for listening and phone use. The Sony's are good these days too so unless you are in the Bose ecosystem (such that it is*) you'd probably just buy which ever is cheaper between the Bose QC35 and Sony WH1000 (or Bose QuietControl 30 if you have nice hair).

*The Bose ecosystem allows two sets of bluetooth headphones to share a feed, so if two of you want to watch a movie or listen to Norwegian thrash metal together, you can.
Thanks for the responses. Lots of useful information there.

In terms of budget I would be OK with spending around £250 if I felt it was worth it for what is perhaps seen as a premium brand like Bose. I get the impression Bose probably is worth the money although Sony also looks to be worth considering.

Thanks
Just to follow up on this I have tried on various sets and was impressed with the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 recommended by several people. My only slight concern is that because of their light weight construction they appear very flimsy/fragile. Googling suggests the power button can be a bit unreliable but has anybody any other experience with them getting damaged or broken in practice.

Thanks
Another Sennheiser ANR long term user, as in about 15 yrs or more.

Currently my px200 are on their last legs - leatherette covering for the padding is falling apart, but they've been used most days for the past couple of years; I use them on the train whilst listening to music or watching videos.

I guess it's down to personal preference and budget.
grow45 wrote:Just to follow up on this I have tried on various sets and was impressed with the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 recommended by several people. My only slight concern is that because of their light weight construction they appear very flimsy/fragile. Googling suggests the power button can be a bit unreliable but has anybody any other experience with them getting damaged or broken in practice.

Thanks
If it helps to allay your fears I bought the QC35 mk1 in 2016 and had no durability problems at all except that one earpad seam split after about 2 years (I use them daily). Bose sent out brand new pair of updated QC35 mk 2 within the week, no questions asked. The current set are literally as good as new with maybe 30-40 hours a week of use. Earpads aside, these will probably be the post apocalypse headset of choice for mutant cockroaches.
OCB liked this
eltonioni wrote:
grow45 wrote:Just to follow up on this I have tried on various sets and was impressed with the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 recommended by several people. My only slight concern is that because of their light weight construction they appear very flimsy/fragile. Googling suggests the power button can be a bit unreliable but has anybody any other experience with them getting damaged or broken in practice.

Thanks
If it helps to allay your fears I bought the QC35 mk1 in 2016 and had no durability problems at all except that one earpad seam split after about 2 years (I use them daily). Bose sent out brand new pair of updated QC35 mk 2 within the week, no questions asked. The current set are literally as good as new with maybe 30-40 hours a week of use. Earpads aside, these will probably be the post apocalypse headset of choice for mutant cockroaches.

Thanks, That's good to know.
In case it is of interest I ended up getting a set of Bose Quietcomfort 25s-the wired ones rather than the Bluetooth QC35s as they were on special offer for £140 from Amazon. They were advertised as for iPhones but a bit of googling confirmed they were the same as the android version I could have had for £100 more except the remote volume control might not work. Not a problem on an airliner.

Very happy with them after a fourteen hour trip. Thanks for all the useful advise.
In case it is of interest I ended up getting a set of Bose Quietcomfort 25s-the wired ones rather than the Bluetooth QC35s as they were on special offer for £140 from Amazon. They were advertised as for iPhones but a bit of googling confirmed they were the same as the android version I could have had for £100 more except the remote volume control might not work. Not a problem on an airliner.

Very happy with them after a fourteen hour trip. Thanks for all the useful advise.