Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
BoeingBoy wrote:Welcome to the world of the professional pilot.

The main reason I never became a professional airline pilot was that I don't like crossword puzzles.

But we get cake served for afternoon tea........

Complete with clotted cream.
By Rob P
Ben wrote:No, Flew many times to Italy and Germany and was always busy navigating and looking down.

We don't mind you looking down on the Germans, as long as they don't get all huffy again and invade Poland, but in deference to African Eagle, we really shouldn't look down on the Italians

Rob P
Nick liked this
By Cessna57
I find if I’m on my own, once I’m enroute and stable I get what I call “FREDA frenzy”, this is when you haven’t particularly changed anything or retrimmed for 5 to 10 minutes and you feel you should be doing “something”.

My FREDA checks get closer and closer together and I have to make a conscious effort to stop continuously doing FREDA checks.

This doesn’t happen if I’m flying with someone, we spend the whole flight pointing stuff out and discussing flying and sometimes life.

Clouds, clouds are my favourite things when viewed from the air, can’t see how I’m ever going to get bored of that.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna57 wrote:Clouds, clouds are my favourite things when viewed from the air, can’t see how I’m ever going to get bored of that.

You realise that if you fly south for long enough, you may encounter somewhere where there are no clouds. I know it's a difficult thing to imagine, especially mid-winter for those of us from Wales.
Aeronca Alan liked this
By neil9327
Iceman wrote:I love flying high. This was us hovering in a helicopter 3000 ft above base camp at 19,000 ft, Everest towering a further 10,000 ft in front of us. All sans oxygen :shock:.

Iceman 8)

Great photo :D

You must have been tempted to fly on up to the summit? Though presumably that would have been unwise, even if possible.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The turbine helicopter wouldn't have had the performance to get us there, as much as I would have liked to get to the summit. The helicopter could have got to 22,000 ft but the winds off Everest at that time of year limited us to 19,000 ft.

Iceman 8)
neil9327 liked this
Iceman wrote:The turbine helicopter wouldn't have had the performance to get us there, as much as I would have liked to get to the summit. The helicopter could have got to 22,000 ft but the winds off Everest at that time of year limited us to 19,000 ft.

Iceman 8)

An AS350 B3e (that's a single turbine helicopter) has landed on the top of Everest. :)

Iceman liked this
By TLRippon
I think the entire pilot population with an IR or IR(R) was on top this weekend, it was bloomin busy up there. Went from Sywell to Prestwick and back yesterday dodging traffic on top all the way. The scenery was quite interesting.
Iceman, Cessna57 liked this
By Lockhaven
Dave Phillips wrote:
Iceman wrote:The turbine helicopter wouldn't have had the performance to get us there, as much as I would have liked to get to the summit. The helicopter could have got to 22,000 ft but the winds off Everest at that time of year limited us to 19,000 ft.

Iceman 8)

An AS350 B3e (that's a single turbine helicopter) has landed on the top of Everest. :)

It would be interesting to know what the engine torque and ITT values were at that altitude :whistle:

IIRC the Jet Ranger/Bell 206 would be maxed out of torque and ITT around 20000ft.
By condor17
TL , yep great to get upstairs with studes lately , good horizon , snowfield look below , and Sunshine when the rest of Wessex had grey gloomy days . They were amazed .

Good days , turn radio off and with modern headsets , Ipod thingy listening to music to fly to ..

condor