For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Bill McCarthy wrote: just add boiling water and a spoonful of peasemeal

Bill , this is the second time in a day that you've educated this Sassenach. :thumright:

I am going to put forward a proposal to nominate you as the FF resident nutritionist !........ :D
Bill McCarthy wrote:Brose is incredible stuff - ...

.. not to be confused with 'Brewis' (pronounced 'brooz'), hard tack boiled up with cod, Newfoundland fisherfolk's staple:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_brewis :) </drift>
Should you be tempted to try ordinary brose or Athol Brose it is important to use coarse or pinhead oatmeal. Rolled oats go through a different process and does not have the “nutty” flavour of the real thing. I get my oatmeal and peasemeal, sourced from the Golspie mill - perhaps the only working water wheel mill in the UK ?
Hamlyns oatmeal on the other hand can be found in most supermarket breakfast cereal sections.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote: I get my oatmeal and peasemeal, sourced from the Golspie mill - perhaps the only working water wheel mill in the UK ?

The village of Pakenham, Suffolk, just up the road from us has the distinction of having a working watermill and a working windmill.
There has been a water mill on the site for over a thousand years, flour having been produced from before William the Conqueror's visit

Peter :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The water mill at Mapledurham just North of Reading on the Thames is still producing flour AFAIK and has been a scene for various movies....
johnm wrote:... and has been a scene for various movies....

Including The Eagle Has Landed which was on just last week

Rob P
johnm liked this
It’s great to hear that these old mills are kept running. When I was a lad every parish had one and every farm or rural home had their oats milled in bulk. No money changed hands - payment to the miller - 10% of the quantity done.