Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-43566365

Mentions 'concerns about developing an airfield'.

Does this mean MBA are considering developing it as a GA airfield I wonder?
Nice to see plans for building houses on an airfield being blocked though :thumleft: ; now that the government has expressed concerns about the possibility of flooding on the proposed Fairoaks Airport development, (Chobham News and Mail, 13 Dec 2018; front page; sorry unable to provide a link) maybe those plans will be blocked too. :clap:
Last edited by chevvron on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The article about Fairoaks says the Environment Agency has objected on the grounds that 'parts of the Fairoaks land are in the flood plain of the neighbouring Addlestone Bourne River - land where water has to flow or be stored in times of flooding' and is 'in an area of Surrey Heath's own flood risk assessment plan where development is allowed only in exceptional circumstances'.
The grass areas on the northern part of the airfield where the housing is proposed are soggy for several months a year.
The local MP is Mr Michael Gove who of course is the Environment Secretary!! :D
CloudHound wrote:Fairoaks Planning Application determination has been postponed until July this year.

Chalgrove is subject to a battle between HCA and Martin Baker.

The local villagers don't want re-development of the airfield either; the main housing estate south of the airfield has only been there since the late '60s and the B480 road was diverted to go between the airfield and the houses at the same time.
Meantime, Synergy Aviation at Fairoaks are hedging their bets and have set up an office at Blackbushe.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flying badger  wrote:Chalgrove are very unwelcoming to GA. As much as I lament any runway closure, theirs is one that won't be missed.

But the point is that if they're going to sell the airfield, it could be bought, well, as an airfield rather than as somewhere to build houses.

Build the houses in another field.
Straight Level liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Flying badger  wrote:Chalgrove are very unwelcoming to GA. As much as I lament any runway closure, theirs is one that won't be missed.

But the point is that if they're going to sell the airfield, it could be bought, well, as an airfield rather than as somewhere to build houses.

Build the houses in another field.

I'm aware the locals don't like GA too much; when I was microlighting at Halton we asked to go there and were told regretfully no; even their own Meteor used to come down to Farnborough to do circuits occasionally.
Not much to see there anyway; just the memorial to the Battle of Chalgrove Field which took place during the civil war down by the crossroads.
By MikeW
I lived in Chalgrove from 72-76 - my first house. We used to see the Meteor whistling over at low level followed by a loud bang and then a spirited climb out by the Meteor. I don't know if he was the pilot at that time but certainly some years later it was Stan Hodgkins. He built a Kitfox and kept it at the airfield in the 90s. Now I own that Kitfox (but nowhere near Chalgrove). The funny workings of fate!
What a dreadful thought, to have 3000 houses there. It was a nice little village and I don't think it has changed or grown much. I hope MBA can hang onto it against the threat of compulsory purchase of their lease, and it would be even better if it could be open to GA.
By Highland Park
MikeW wrote:I lived in Chalgrove from 72-76 - my first house. We used to see the Meteor whistling over at low level followed by a loud bang and then a spirited climb out by the Meteor. I don't know if he was the pilot at that time but certainly some years later it was Stan Hodgkins. He built a Kitfox and kept it at the airfield in the 90s. Now I own that Kitfox (but nowhere near Chalgrove). The funny workings of fate!
What a dreadful thought, to have 3000 houses there. It was a nice little village and I don't think it has changed or grown much. I hope MBA can hang onto it against the threat of compulsory purchase of their lease, and it would be even better if it could be open to GA.

Stan Hodgkins now flies an RV-7A out of Crowfield and is an occasional visitor to Old Buck...

Ian
Mike Dible, who used to contribute to 'Pilot' magazine (sorry) was a previous pilot at Chalgrove.
Spoke to Stan Hodgkins many a time both from Farnborough and once at Cranfield where he was flying the JP Mk1.
At the 'Good Food Show' at Olympia in the late '90s, Mrs C and I came across a stand selling wine made at Luxters Farm. I mentioned to the wife that there was a private strip there and the lady running the stand chipped in and asked if I knew the owner. Turned out she was Stan's wife !