For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Chippys around here are disgusting, selling fat drenched ludicrously large portions of tasteless stodge.

Don’t be fooled into thinking the burger chain franchisees are some sort of disorganised small businesses, they aren’t. Most are operators of several restaurant brands with sometimes hundreds of outlets. I used to supply them. They are turning over tens if not hundreds of million a year. They are successful because they give the public what they want at a sensible price.

When I was a kid my mum used to give me wonderful homemade sugar sandwiches. Washed down with lashings of orange cordial. No wonder I became diabetic.

Anyway, I’ve been a good boy recently and as a treat tomorrow I’ll be in Glasgow where I’ll be having a battered donner kebab for lunch. In about six weeks I’ll lick my lips and still be able to taste it.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Sooty25 wrote:Oh, when did the burgers change?

When the legend that is Nik Coleman fell out with the then Old Buckenham management. About 2004 I'd guess.

Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote:
romille wrote:
I have recently started to take an interest in salt content :shock:

You’ve left it very late......,,

Peter :wink: :lol:

Not really, I have not added salt to food for over 30 years and don't eat ready meals or take aways, so thought I had a really healthy diet. But I do admit to being a silver surfer these days! :lol:
Rob P wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:Oh, when did the burgers change?

When the legend that is Nik Coleman fell out with the then Old Buckenham management. About 2004 I'd guess.

Rob P

Blimey! Not that long ago, I'm sure I had a half decent one there a couple of years ago.
The gulf between "half decent" and the Mustang Burger is about as wide as the gulf between a BigMac and food. ;)

Rob P

For clarification - the food at Jimmy's on Old Buckenham (Thursday > Sunday) is pretty good, though I can't personally vouch for the burgers. But in the days when the airfield was run by Paul Layzell, Nik Coleman took the catering franchise, and he invented The Mustang Burger which, from memory, was a full one pound uncooked weight.

Any brave pilot clearing his plate had his photograph taken and was displayed on the 'Wall of Fame' in the cafe.

Nik has gone on to other things, and now as Nik Coleman Television created and produced the 'Plane Resurrection' TV series.
Flyin'Dutch', Sooty25 liked this
I only have a BK every couple of months or so, so what harm is it going to do - none.
My daily diet - only tea and toast when I start the day, brose for half yoking time and a light snack at half five. Never add salt, but will introduce it for a while if I start to get cramps.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You know what? I much prefer the Burger King product to the MacD equivalent:

I can just about accept eating a meal in public with my fingers, but in the case of a MacD I can never get used to the burger sliding on a lubricating layer of mayo and tomato ketchup out of the side of the bun and thence down my arm....

Peter
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:brose for half yoking time

Tried feeding this through google translate but was none the wiser. For us south of the border, can you provide an explanation please? :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brose

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/yokin

:)
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:My daily diet - only tea and toast when I start the day, brose for half yoking time and a light snack at half five. Never add salt, but will introduce it for a while if I start to get cramps.

Nah: Stay off the salt , just get a bottle of magnesium tabs next time you're in Tesco or your local rip-off chemist.

You'll be amazed.

Peter :wink:
Brose is incredible stuff - made with stone ground oats (the coarser the better) , just add boiling water and a spoonful of peasemeal if required. It will keep you going all day. For those out on the hills or outward bounding only add enough water to make a stiff paste, add a touch of whisky, roll into balls and consume en route. An old shepherds recipe.