Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
PeteSpencer wrote:
Crash one wrote:So what “intelligence” led the police to arrest the people they picked up?

They were dobbed in by a neighbour according to a red top this week

Peter

I wonder if said dobbing neighbour was the same one who then gave their names to the red tops?

#amitoocynical.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
This is a ridiculous conflation of stories:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46720717

Drag a drone in wherever you can! The Severn Bridge was closed because a man was dangling from the tower, not because he was flying a drone. And then, because there's nothing more to say but there are inches to fill, a rehash of the Gatwick story.

This is particularly egregious:

"Two people who were arrested were released without charge" unaccountably missing out the phrase "having been humiliated in the press and then completely exonerated".
Military anti drone equipment withdrawn from Gatwick.
Does this mean they now have their own kit or are they back to unprotected status? (Millions spent on whatever they spent it on)?
Crash one wrote:Military anti drone equipment withdrawn from Gatwick.
Does this mean they now have their own kit or are they back to unprotected status? (Millions spent on whatever they spent it on)?

According to 'the other side', it was RAF Regt not Army who did the de-droning.
Pete L wrote:Perps not found yet. My money still on root cause being anti-drone tech supplier - LHR reported as buying kit as well.

I wouldn’t think so.
1 They would stand a chance of being cought, very bad for business.
2 If more than one individual was involved one of them might “talk”.
3 An ex employee with a grudge could dob them in.
4 If they tried a sales pitch, failed, then the incident happened they would be first on my list.
5 If they did it and the airport decided to buy stuff, 50-50 chance the business could go elsewhere.
6 If a company had to resort to that tactic they wouldn’t be at the top of the quality list.

My guess is an individual anti airfield fanatic with enough brain power not to push his luck too far.
Kids would brag to their mates.
kanga liked this
chevvron wrote:
Crash one wrote:My guess is an individual anti airfield fanatic with enough brain power not to push his luck too far.

Putin?

Nah, he’d go for Heathrow and blame MI5!
BALPA are asking for a 5km exclusion around airfields, presumably to include the glideslope. Not that it will affect malicious or incompetent operators but it will annoy all the careful legal ones. At least Chris Grayling will be "doing something".
chevvron wrote:According to 'the other side', it was RAF Regt not Army who did the de-droning.

There have been reports of the Army with Drone Dome and the RAF Regiment with Blighter AUDS.

There is a photo that shows a Metis Aerospace RF detector (the system that was trailed at Southend last year?) and what looks like a Leonardo Nerio optical sensor on a roof.

Steve
From yesterday, it looks like the copper chopper at Birmingham managed a speedy collar

NPAS Birmingham
@NPASBirmingham
2 minutes after lifting to reports of a drone near
@bhx_official
sus vehicles located. Officers talked in and drone located. Persons now assisting police with investigation.

Rob P
Iceman, kanga, mick w and 6 others liked this
chevvron wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:There's also a perfectly good runway at Wisely ( Ockham)
Half Way between Gatwick and Heathrow.

The Wisley runway isn't so good if you look at it closely http://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk ... y?start=60 video taken from a drone (sorry) on page 6.
Having said that it could be saved IF you could divert several public rights of way especially with Fairoaks being under threat about 3nm north west.

Green Belt at Wisley freed for development

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-48066822