For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
Grelly wrote:To answer the question, "Hell No!".

Let's see...£150M @ 3% is £4.5M per year, or £86,000 per week...

I could scrape by on that.

Considering you got from £115m to £150m rather quickly, is it safe to rely on your arithmetic and believe you can get a 3% return? :wink:

It was a throw away line! You're not supposed to pick it up and examine it :lol:
If we mean earned income from the winning that would be taxed as per the arrangements that somebody with £115m can afford to put in place. The usual arrangement would be to buy a couple of houses close abroad, and be wheels on / off for no more that 40 x 24hr periods a year. :) The Isle of Man would work, or Belgium, but y'know in a contest between the 1950's and Belgium, its the 1950's innit. :D
JAFO liked this
stevelup wrote:Yes, I'm sure anyone with £115M in the bank doesn't need to worry about pesky little things like taxation!

...actually, that’s exactly why the Brussels pubs were chock full of dotcom millionaires 20 years ago. HMRC said they had to hand over 50+% of a once in a lifetime gain, Belgian taxman said “bienvenue, welcomme”, they paid nothing in CGT, and net-net 35% on what they took out.

One close friend saved 7 figures by decanting a few miles the other side of the Eurotunnel.
Before anyone complains, it was a company that was nominally based in the UK. Almost all clients were nUK.
I'd always been under the impression that by playing the lottery you'd already consented to whatever publicity the organising company wanted to do in the event of a big win?

Maybe that's just the National Lottery and not the Euro one.

Me, I don't think I'd want to be in the papers but I can't see it really being possible to keep it a secret from family and close friends. Perhaps we should start (or split off) a thread where we all list what we'd do with £115m?
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:I'd always been under the impression that by playing the lottery you'd already consented to whatever publicity the organising company wanted to do in the event of a big win?

That's absolutely not the case for either Lottery. You can choose 'no publicity' but good luck with that.

I think the safest bet would be to use your £115M for a one-way rocket to Mars ;)