Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
New user manual and firmware posted.

Note, it is required to update both the Wi-Fi and Transceiver firmware.

Wi-Fi
https://uavionix.com/update-skyecho-2-system-software/

Transceiver
https://uavionix.com/update-skyecho-2-transceiver-software/

User Guide
https://uavionix.com/downloads/skyecho/SkyEcho-2-User-and-Installation-Guide-REV-D.pdf

Thanks!
gaznav, bilko2 liked this
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have used my SkyEcho 2 whenever I have been in the car for the past week and am emitting ADS-B via a reserved Hex code and test FLID. The GPS data has been almost constant apart from the odd tunnel and the interface with SkyDemon rock solid. The reception of ADS-B aircraft is quite remarkable given the compact nature of the unit a no external antenna. In turn, the processing of this data does result in significant additional labelling of the SD nav window until realistically filtered via height banding. The SkyDemon Traffic function and algorithm is superb at sorting and depicting actual threats and I s obviously the function that would be used most in flight. Another early positive is that my emissions, even at ground level, are being regularly received and depicted on a number of the hobbiests sites including FR24, indicating that the emission from this little magic box is more than sufficient to generate an alert to a receiving aircraft in the immediate vicinity.

This evening, I completed the firmware upgrades supplied above and now have the FLARM option depicted and enabled in the setup menu. I look forward to receiving and depicting my first FLARM contacts over the next few days.
gaznav, flybymike, FieldLander and 7 others liked this
By Cub
I am extremely sad to report that when I went to switch on my SE2, yesterday morning, I was faced with three red LEDs for approximately one minute after which the unit failed to start and died. I have subsequently tried charging, disconnecting, reconnecting etc. And while the blue charging light illuminates while connected to a power source via the USB, the unit fails to respond to a button press and dies immediately when disconnected.

I have emailed UAvionix with the symptoms and await their response. All a bit disappointing and I still have not detected a FLARM emission!
By Straight Level
Cub wrote:I am extremely sad to report that when I went to switch on my SE2, yesterday morning, I was faced with three red LEDs for approximately one minute after which the unit failed to start and died. I have subsequently tried charging, disconnecting, reconnecting etc. And while the blue charging light illuminates while connected to a power source via the USB, the unit fails to respond to a button press and dies immediately when disconnected.

I have emailed UAvionix with the symptoms and await their response. All a bit disappointing and I still have not detected a FLARM emission!

Cub,

Looking at glider tracker and OGN range, the last few days, Flarm traffic has been particularly less prominent.
As a comparison of the last 7 days, PAW in red and Flarm in red/blue tracks (centred on EGBT) so lack of Flarm contacts may simply be due to a combination of the time of year and (purely a supposition) that the inbuilt SE2 Flarm antenna not as sensitive as an external antenna?
(You may need to be within a few Km to receive a Flarm transmission).

ATB
SL.
By Cub
Cub wrote:I am extremely sad to report that when I went to switch on my SE2, yesterday morning, I was faced with three red LEDs for approximately one minute after which the unit failed to start and died. I have subsequently tried charging, disconnecting, reconnecting etc. And while the blue charging light illuminates while connected to a power source via the USB, the unit fails to respond to a button press and dies immediately when disconnected.

UAvionix got back in touch with me very quickly this afternoon and said they will provide me with an RMA shipping label and replace the unit. They also assure me they are working on a known issue and will issue an update in the next couple of weeks. I feel a bit like a Beta tester except poorer! Having had the functionality for a couple of days, I am really missing it now. Maybe I will have to resurrect my old PAW to discover the latest rebroadcast delights, in the meantime?
By Cub
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Is there any way you can take the battery out and put it back in again or something like that?

Or re-flash the software?

You are obviously like the bloke in Costco the other day, who was at the Returns Desk with a plastic bag full of laptop bits explaining he had tried to mend it but couldn’t.

I normally wait until after the warranty expires before attacking the case with a screwdriver ;-)

PS “Are those cake crumbs, sir?”
By GolfHotel
If you have the flarm bit turned on, believe that costs £30 a year, what sort of range can you expect to receive Flarm alerts about gliders?

I really like the idea of SE2 working with SD.
By Cub
Another communication from UAvionix today saying that are building some new stock currently. They want to make sure they have the issues resolved before sending me a new one. They will be conducting some testing over the next week. They request that I hold on to my SE2 until then, when they will replace it. If I would rather not wait, they will issue a refund and will let me know when the new units are available.

I am going to hang in there because I remain excited and enthusiastic about the functionality and the unit but it is a disappointing start my SE2 experience.

Perhaps other early purchasers of SE2s may care to cycle their units through battery life and top up, just to check they don’t replicate my issue when you most need the unit.
gaznav liked this
Cub, I’ve had my SE2 for about 6 weeks now and haven’t had any problems. I’ve had the battery down to red on 4 or 5 occasions and the only issue is that I can’t get it back to green if it is switched on and charging from the aircraft’s USB supply. I suspect this is just a P=IxV thing as it will fully charge if switched-off or powered from an alternative supply.
gaznav liked this
By gaznav
Mine is still going strong as well - I haven’t seen that issue (yet). However, the longest it’s been switched on so far is 4 hrs for the SE2 and it was still green (ie. above 66%). I had my SE1 on for a longer time at about 6 hours but it doesn’t have the same LED battery indicator.

I have to say that my dealings with the company have been excellent and they are very swift to act when a problem like this occurs. :thumright: