For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:Do any of these bikes have energy recovery on braking, or is the current flow all one-way?

I know of none that have this as a feature at the moment.

No doubt it is technically possible but the amount that can be regenerated will be pretty small.
By Mike Tango
When I bought mine just over year ago the word then was that it’s probably coming, but still a bit off. The question is whether it’s actually worth it or not, I think a common consensus is not really.
By Rob P
Sorry I can't give a reference but I think this is available on at least one of the electric scooters.

I read it and moved on.

Rob P
By flybymike
Scooters would logically be an improvement on bikes for taking in the aeroplane. They are lighter and take less space when folded.
I wonder what the logic is for banning them on U.K. roads whilst allowing bikes.
They seem to be legal for public use in much of the world.
By GrahamB
Mike Tango wrote:When I bought mine just over year ago the word then was that it’s probably coming, but still a bit off. The question is whether it’s actually worth it or not, I think a common consensus is not really.

I'd have thought that depends on how hilly an area you live in. Round this neck of the woods you'd use a lot of battery helping you up hills which is just wasted on the downhill sections where you have to brake to stay at a reasonable speed.
By nallen
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Do any of these bikes have energy recovery on braking, or is the current flow all one-way?

I know of none that have this as a feature at the moment.

No doubt it is technically possible but the amount that can be regenerated will be pretty small.

Some of the Klever bikes have regenerative braking:

https://www.klever-mobility.com/
By Mike Tango
GrahamB wrote:I'd have thought that depends on how hilly an area you live in. Round this neck of the woods you'd use a lot of battery helping you up hills which is just wasted on the downhill sections where you have to brake to stay at a reasonable speed.

There’s some thoughts here on why it’s not a feature on most bikes...

https://www.pandaebikes.com/regen-braking-ebikes-worth/
By Flyin'Dutch'
I think you will be amazed how little energy would be regenerated. Just had a look, a decent bike battery holds About 0,7kW, deliver support for 50 miles or and they take About 4 Hours to charge, so let's round up and say that by charging on the normal net you get a charge of 200 Watt per Hour. Assuming that a Regeneration delivers the same amount to the Battery. Therefore a 10 Minute Downhill journey would deliver 33w. That would mean that you would gain 2,35 mile per 10 minutes descent.
By Dodo
Thanks again all. In the end I recognised that I have a habit of buying expensive toys and never using them much so rather than spend 4 figures I bought an entry level [https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/classic-bikes/pendleton-somerby-electric-hybrid-bike-black-rose-gold-17-19-frames]and having used it daily for the last week or two it seems to do all I need. It is a bit "girly" and indeed is advertised as a woman's bike rather than unisex, but I need a step through frame for my poor old acheing knees.
Mike Tango liked this
By Mike Tango
As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters :thumleft:

Dodo wrote:Thanks again all. In the end I recognised that I have a habit of buying expensive toys and never using them much so rather than spend 4 figures I bought an entry level [https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/classic-bikes/pendleton-somerby-electric-hybrid-bike-black-rose-gold-17-19-frames]and having used it daily for the last week or two it seems to do all I need. It is a bit "girly" and indeed is advertised as a woman's bike rather than unisex, but I need a step through frame for my poor old acheing knees.
By Chris Martyr
A friend of mine bought an e-bike called a GoCycle [I think] a few years ago . It was around 2 ,000 quid back then and I believe even more expensive now.

Absolutely incredible piece of kit and designed by the McLaren F1 guys using real 'state of the art' technology.
Even Mr Luddite here is impressed .

Not going to buy one though . Far too expensive .

[And I live closer to our village pub than he does :D ]
By Leodisflyer
Cycling has become very expensive and high end. Most people who enjoy it as a hobby spend around £2k upwards for a reasonably basic road bike with no electric power. The last time I bought a road bike (non folding) I was fairly sensible and kept the cost under £2.5k, but then went and spent £900+ on a pair of pedals.

Had too many cycling injuries to ride much at the moment - it’s just too risky. May start riding outdoors again in the spring, but dont’t want to spend as much time doing it as I did. At that point an electric road bike becomes very attractive, but they want £4K up for the type of bike that would fit in well on club runs of 50-70 miles.

The bike manufacturers know their market - a lot of time-poor people around who want to do a Sunday club run, but can’t train through the week to be fast and fit enough to keep up with the group and do the distance.