For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:I had no idea that so many Forumites other than Paul S have been to Sweden for longer or shorter periods. You should come again: visit us at ESGP and send me a PM in advance and I'll treat you to food and drink. :D

/Peter

We did a tour of Lund a little while ago stopping off in as many Wallander locations as we could find. Also drove over The Bridge...
akg1486 wrote:I had no idea that so many Forumites other than Paul S have been to Sweden for longer or shorter periods...

.. last there in ?1960, having driven up from Switzerland where we were then living for my parents to have a golfing holiday in Falsterbo, South of Lund, on the coast. I remember

a. German autobahns: nothing like them in Switzerland (nor, then, UK). Our Citroen ID19 made for a very fast, comfortable ride, and my father enjoyed the speeds
b. also, getting there and back, ferries Grossenbrode-Gedser then Helsingor-Helsingborg (no bridge)
c. Caddying for my parents (as often elsewhere: put me off golf for life, which probably saved me a lot of money later, probably spent on flying :oops: ), on a course where many holes involved driving over (cold) saltwater creeks and greens beyond which there were more. Many balls lost, and I was the designated wader/retriever :(
d. visiting in Lund a business acquaintance of my father called Rausing, a name which then meant nothing to me :?

But it was a good holiday, ~3 summer weeks of which >1 week was on the road. Since then I've had quite a lot to do with Swedes professionally, but have never revisited. Pity!

[back to thread: no television memories from that era; we had none in Switzerland, nor probably saw any in Sweden]
kanga wrote:d. visiting in Lund a business acquaintance of my father called Rausing, a name which then meant nothing to me :?

If you were a cute kid, you should have charmed your way into his will. All funding problems for flying would have gone away. :-D
malcolmfrost wrote:Was it just a bad dream, but in Norway have they really got the pickled herring selection box rather than Quality Street!!

That's very funny. Made me laugh out loud. I can readily imagine the Christmas jumpers and the earnest entreaties to 'tuck in'.