Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi,

My son is converting from NPPL to EASA
Training complete for conversion of NPPL SSEA to EASA PPL A, done a skills test etc , the NPPL was issued 8 years ago so qualifies for conversion via the virtual LAPL to PPLA route ( think I have that correct )

Were both totally confused with regard to the application process and if anyone out there has recently managed this please help! And that is despite talking to the CAA who basically redirected me to the website which did not answer my queries in the first place.

I do know this has to be a paper application, the confusion centres around the documentation that needs to be provided.

1/. Exam passes ? well these were 8 years ago and surely its explicit in the issue of the NPPL, I doubt weather the training organization would have copies . Q is this required for this conversion.
2/. Qualifying cross country certificate , It has been done and entered up in log book ,not quite sure if this is required or even available.
3/. Which actual form to use ? I can only find the form for initial issue of PPL and no document checklist for this specific type of application. Is there a particular form ?

There is so much vagueness on this process , if you have recently applied for such we would be indebted for your advice , if your an instructor / examiner with the requisite experience likewise.

Regards

Alan
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unless they have gone totally into employing agency staff and abandoning them in a locked room with pre-written instructions only on main tasks, I can't believe they want old ground exam passes for this, the fact the NPPL-SSEA exists should be enough. Many CAA forms are made for one main purpose and then also used for an associated sideline too - for example, when you renew an expiring radio licence, it appears to want all sorts of stuff that you simply cross out, but nothing on the form tells you to do that, it just says in the title it is for 'renewal' as well as issue, and you cross out anything to do with exams or tests. The problem you have is slightly different as without proper guidance you could be applying and having it rejected for months and months. I haven't been involved in an NPPL-SSEA direct to PPL(A) so I had better not advise, but if I had been designing it without a special form to specifically do that, it would have been 'fill in the form that does SSEA to LAPL, fill in the other form that does LAPL to PPL, send both in pinned together with covering note' - but I bet it isn't like that.
1/. Exam passes ? well these were 8 years ago and surely its explicit in the issue of the NPPL, I doubt weather the training organization would have copies . Q is this required for this conversion.

Just write all ready "passed as holds NPPL"

I have done 20 or so this way. On one occasion the CAA rejected the application and asked for the actual individual details of the exams passes. Fortunately I had copies of this however I have no idea what I would of done if I hadn't.

2/. Qualifying cross country certificate , It has been done and entered up in log book ,not quite sure if this is required or even available.

I can't help you here although there has been no requirement for a QXC certificate for some years. As part of the NPPL to PPL upgrade I have always got students to get one signed. Not that I though that for one second it was actually needed but to avoid problems later when applying for the licence.

I suppose you could hope for the best, send a certified copy of the logbook or the logbook itself.

"I do know this has to be a paper application, the confusion centres around the documentation that needs to be provided"

We did about a dozen applications via the online method. We then got one rejected and was told we had to do it using paper forms which we did. Since then I have gone back to using the online forms and they have all been issued without problems.

Good luck
Thank you Bathman , I take it your an Instructor / Examiner , do you recall if there was a certain form other that the general initial PPL application ?
I spoke to the CAA this morning and the chap said it was a paper application ..but he was not that re-assuring to be honest . have done any recently.

cheers
Alan
You will need

SRG1105A - Section 7 covers TK exemption, section 9 covers reduced course exemption

SRG2128 from examiner

Certified copy of medical and ID

Certified copy of NPPL

The ATO or DTO Head of Training is responsible for compiling and certifying all of this for you

All the best
Hi ,

I found what seems to be definitive TXT from the CAA web site, it was rather buried.
Follow the link below and then select EASA PPL .
I do hope it saves someone else the anguish !

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/ ... R-licence/

• NPPL to PPL conversion
In order to convert an NPPL(A) SSEA issued before 8 April an EASA Part-FCL PPL or SEP respectively, you will need to ensure that you meet the requirements as set out in CAP 804, Section 4, Part P, 3.3, 'Conversion of UK National licences and ratings'. Please note that this CAP is currently under review and for reference only, however Section 4, Part P is valid in respect of the conversion requirements from a UK issued NPPL to a LAPL.
You will be required to follow the 'virtual' LAPL route to convert your NPPL to a PPL. In short, this involves meeting the requirements for the conversion of your NPPL to a LAPL, and then meeting the requirements for the PPL on the basis of holding a LAPL (even though the LAPL is not actually granted). The relevant PPL skill test will need to be completed. These requirements are stated in Part FCL Easy Access Rules, Subpart C, Section 2 - Specific requirements for the PPL aeroplane - PPL(A), FCL.210.A.PPL(A) Experience and Crediting (b). Once these requirements have been met you are then required to undertake and pass a PPL(A) skill test with an appropriately qualified Part FCL examiner.
The following requirements will apply in order to convert to a LAPL licence:
• Hold a current and valid Part-MED LAPL or higher medical certificate. All medical records must be held in the UK.
To exercise the privileges of a Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence, the holder must have a lifetime English Language Proficiency ICAO Level 6, or non-expired English language proficiency at ICAO Level 4 or 5, which has been tested by an approved UK CAA examiner or language school - see CAP 804, Section 4, Part M 'FCL.055 - Language Proficiency'
Please also refer to our guidance on English language proficiency testing and flight crew licensing.
On completion of the above the following documents are required:
• PPL issue application form SRG1105(A)
• PPL skill test report form SRG2128
• Original flying logbook(s)
• A copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page (from your previous UK licence) certified by your Examiner/Training Provider
• Copy of current and valid UK issued Part-Med Medical certificate
• Evidence of current Language Proficiency - can be endorsed on the SRG1199 if not already held
• A certified true copy of photographic ID (passport or valid EEA/EU National Identity Card or full EU photographic driving licence)
• The current fee as per the CAA Scheme of Charges £191.00
Please note that the NPPL(A) SSEA licence must have been issued by the UK CAA on or before 7 April 2018 in order to be convertible.
If you do not already hold an NPPL(A) SSEA licence, please allow sufficient time to submit your application to the LAA and for them to submit the recommendation to us at least 10 working days prior to the 7 April.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well dug out. I would probably add the caa have started insisting on colour photocopies for ID, and I would expect them not to allow a lapl medical for the one mentioned in the final list (the list that covers virtual lapl to ppl.
OK looks like this application went well using the method above, colour copies, cover letter and even a copy of the CAA procedure just in case.
Application submitted 12/1/19 received licence 26 Feb . To be fair CAA are swamped with licence applications and conversions in the rush to BREXIT deadline.

Thanks again for the wise and practical advice.