For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Nothing is as weird as reality.

In Alabania, for some reason, Norman Wisdom is a house-hold name.

In Germany, Scandinavia, Denmark and other north-western European countries, a ten minute film short called 'Dinner for One' is the 'must see' event for every New Year's Eve (including this one).

This film short was shot in 1963 and stars an English variety hall comedian called Freddie Frinton who made a life-long career out of playing a drunken man.

Happy New Year:

By lutonwho
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have many German colleagues who find it very puzzling that Dinner For One is not known in the UK. Another strange custom is that in Sweden, it is tradition to watch Ivanhoe on New Years Day. From what I can gather, the Swedes watch it in the hope Ivanhoe chooses Rebecca of York over Rowena. When I watched the film recently I found myself wishing for the same outcome.
LW
lutonwho wrote:Another strange custom is that in Sweden, it is tradition to watch Ivanhoe on New Years Day. From what I can gather, the Swedes watch it in the hope Ivanhoe chooses Rebecca of York over Rowena. When I watched the film recently I found myself wishing for the same outcome.
LW

Swedish television used to broadcast the old Ivanhoe movie, which was great. When they stopped (many years ago) a commercial channel started showing the newer, made-for-TV(?) version. Ivanhoe is on his back, sick or injured, for most of it. It's rubbish, at any rate.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk
lutonwho liked this
tomshep wrote:I was introduced to Dinner for One 35 years ago in Denmark where it is known as 90th Birthday. The entire family were looking forward to it and all screamed with hysterical laughter.

The rest of the year must be unspeakably dull for this to be a highlight.
JAFO wrote:The rest of the year must be unspeakably dull for this to be a highlight.

Hey JAFO , don't forget that Tom was quoting from 35yrs ago . Mind you , it was 40yrs ago that I was living out in Sweden and I can tell you that the TV then was wrist-slashingly boring .... :pale: , consisting of programmes about the arts , politics, and sport , with very few entertainment programmes . There was only two channels , Sveriges Radio TV1 or TV2 , they didn't start until later in the day and there was often long gaps in between programmes .

So yes mate , ' Dinner for One' was something of a highlight .. :D

I couldn't work out in the beginning why my then girlfriend would sit laughing like a drain at British TV programmes . It was only later when I saw what the poor girl had been brought up on in her homeland that the penny dropped .

Haven't been to 'Gamle Svedala' since 1981 , but there's strong evidence to suggest that things have moved along a bit since then . [ The Bridge . Wallander , :thumright: :thumleft: ]
Danmarks Radio had one TV channel in those days. It was not exciting, even by Scandinavian standards. The food was even worse, being largely inedible. Culinary expertise was too much to ask of a people whose contribution to haute cuisine is the half assembled sandwich
tomshep wrote:. The food was even worse

Tom,,,sorry mate but I have to disagree with you on that one ... :D :D

Living out there was what gave me my appreciation of 'les fruits de la mer' . And [unusually for me] I'm not trying to weave any Freudian slips into this one either.

Y'mean you never went to a kr'a'ftskiva , or tried Sill, Dill or GravadLax,,,plus a bit of Br'a'nnvin..?

It was the food that compensated for the cr@p TV ... :D
I had no idea that so many Forumites other than Paul S have been to Sweden for longer or shorter periods. You should come again: visit us at ESGP and send me a PM in advance and I'll treat you to food and drink. :D

/Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I might pop over on a commercial flight for a long weekend sometime this spring. I want to go and visit this:

https://www.goteborg.com/en/radiomuseet/

And this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimeton_Radio_Station

And of course this, though I guess flying in would be cooler!

https://www.goteborg.com/en/aeroseum/
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I remember rygbrod. For non Danish speakers, the y is a u like in Welsh.
An attempt to oppress a people by feeding them carpet tile and I defy anybody to tell the difference!
I came back after two years suffering from malnutrition having lost nearly three stone.