For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
No idea whatsoever if it’s been a hit or not “back wi mammy”, but be-jeesus it’s a right laugh.

Binged on season one, in tears of laughter at some points, even the Belgian missus got plenty of the jokes - a few I added some “context” that she “got” when I said.

Possible some on here, who don’t have Irish/Western Scots/Catholic/Celtic/Norn Irn/Protestant/NW English connections might miss some of the jokes. Most of the laughs are about life in the 80s and early 90s. Easy pickins...
By PaulB
It was No 6 in the top 50 shows of 2018 in The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... erry-girls

The top 5 were

5. Succession (Sky Atlantic)
4. Patrick Pelrose (Sky Atlantic)
3. Bodyguard (BBC)
2. A Very English Scandal (BBC)
1. Killing Eve (BBC)

...so it's in very good company.
By Bill Haddow
First rate show. The nun headmistress is superb, I'm sure her opening remarks at the annual talent contest will resonate with teachers and parents world wide.

Bill H
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is it on iPlayer or freeview somewhere? I'm Norn Irn so sounds like it might suit my humour!
By PaulB
seanxair wrote:Is it on iPlayer or freeview somewhere? I'm Norn Irn so sounds like it might suit my humour!

Not seen it (it’s on the to see list) - I believe that it was C4 so will be on All4.
By stevelup
If you have Sky, you can watch it via Sky On Demand in HD and without forced adverts. It's available until Sep 2019.

If you don't have Sky, you're stuck with All4 with it's forced unskippable adverts and utterly shocking worse than SD video quality, not to mention the dependency on Flash. But if you're up for the excitement of experiencing video streaming as it was ten years ago, go for it :lol:
seanxair liked this
By OCB
Bill Haddow wrote:First rate show. The nun headmistress is superb, I'm sure her opening remarks at the annual talent contest will resonate with teachers and parents world wide.

Bill H

Hehe - I was just giggling about one of her talent contest quips before I opened this thread :lol:

It could be available on Netflix over-by. That's how we watched it, and good quality.

One of those series, when I came to the end of the binge - I was a bit lost. I get that a lot with good books, but rarely a TV programme - and even rarer a comedy (Modern Family maybe?)

Good to know it's been well received.

Wish my dad was still alive, he'd have loved it. His mother was brought up a few miles away before decanting to Scotland in her late teens - lived to 93...looked more than a bit like the elderly nun supervising detention...she never lost the accent and way of speaking.
By holyflyer
One of the funniest comedies I have seen in years and gets the context just right.

"Someone pass me the wooden spoon" is a phrase remembered by many of Irish descent and now of a certain age.

Freeze frame the nuns desk - note the hip flask, boxing gloves and the photograph of a bare chested young Daniel O'Donnell.

Very much looking forward to the second series.
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:If you have Sky, you can watch it via Sky On Demand in HD and without forced adverts. It's available until Sep 2019.

With Formula1 all but disappearing from terrestrial TV next year I looked at what The Dirty Digger's ex-company would charge me to watch it live. £480 a year at a minimum, on an 18 month minimum contract. :shock: :shock: :shock:
By OCB
Netflix is only 8 quid a month, and you get a month for free when you sign up....just sayin, like...
By rf3flyer
PaulB wrote:1. Killing Eve (BBC)

...so it's in very good company.

Hardly! Killing Eve was No 1? It was schoite! Started well but dug a hole for itself about halfway through, dived in and kept digging.
By stevelup
OCB wrote:Netflix is only 8 quid a month, and you get a month for free when you sign up....just sayin, like...

But, in the UK at least, they are not showing Derry Girls...
By OCB
stevelup wrote:
OCB wrote:Netflix is only 8 quid a month, and you get a month for free when you sign up....just sayin, like...

But, in the UK at least, they are not showing Derry Girls...

I did do a quick search - obviously too quick....