For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
This is according to the new Sports and Civil society minister Mims Davies , with all the challenges faced by the UK at the moment I think she might be better focusing her attention on more important matters.

On a personal note, I prefer to get away from the grandkids for a couple of weeks of peace and tranquillity!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Quite amusing to us watching what we call the Grandmother virus hit friends who have sworn for years they are immune. But I come back to why recommend a solution that doesn't solve the stated problem...? they might as well decide there is a loneliness problem and arrest two people in Crawley to solve it.
By PeteSpencer
I see our little grand kids just about every day (Our 17 year old lives elsewhere and does his own thing) and I enjoy every minute with them especially the 2 year old twins and am well aware that I and 'er indoors are unpaid child care but I love it.

So personally I'd be delighted to be asked away on holiday:

(But given present circumstances I guess we'd be paying!).

Peter
johnm liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
My grandfather always came along on our family holidays. That's the way it was.

In fact, one holiday in west Wales once I'd started driving, it was just my grandfather and myself for the first night - my mum and dad had a function on, so came down the following day.
Multigenerational households could hold the answer. It would solve the housing shortage, the care home crisis, loneliness, childcare.

Most new houses seem to be 4 bedroomed executive style, when nuclear family size is shrinking. Grandparents wealth would fund the purchase easily.

Holidaying together is just the first step....
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
johnm wrote:I shall be going skiing with my family in March and I shall be funding the apartment, but I most definitely draw the line at living with them for more than a week :shock:

It’s lkely they feel the same about you, but you both have a choice. Some don’t.
johnm liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:I see our little grand kids just about every day (Our 17 year old lives elsewhere and does his own thing) and I enjoy every minute with them especially the 2 year old twins and am well aware that I and 'er indoors are unpaid child care but I love it.

So personally I'd be delighted to be asked away on holiday:

(But given present circumstances I guess we'd be paying!).

Peter

I’m with Peter on this one. Really enjoy the kids company. Don’t see them every day but still often.

My daughter works for us so I see her often. In the holidays she brings the kids to work. She is the accounts clerk for one of the businesses. So tomorrow she will be in my office, with a 5 year old in tow. I’m busy flying tomorrow so it will be no problem.

Weds she can’t take the kids. Work commitments just won’t allow it. So I’ve got the 5 year old and the 12 year old, and an extra day off. :D looks like flying weather as well, they both love flying fortunately. Unpaid childminder I guess.

As for holidays. Yes we might join them in Scotland for a few days in April. Next year Portugal is a distinct possibility. The 12 year old has decided he wants to go there. Guess I’m paying then. :shock:

All fine and dandy by me.

My greatest regret is that I am estranged from my son so I don’t see his kids often. In fact I have one grandson that I have never met.

If you can enjoy your time with the grandchildren. Teach them a few things the parents aren’t keen on. :thumleft: I only said “ yum yum, pigs bum” but once, and the then 3 year old had it off pat. He now repeats it to good effect at choice moments. :thumleft:
My family always had a grandparent on holiday when I was young. It was different in those days. A self catering holiday at the British seaside was just like home from home with sand and donkeys. Grandparents lived into their 70’s, you didn’t get long with them so it was one big happy, responsibility sharing, holiday.
I have three elderly relatives in their 90’s now all with dementia . No way any of them can live on their own never mind come on holiday.
They have no idea who the children are most of the time and in one case hasn't left bed in a year. Not sure I could afford to bring along their cumulative posse of 12 carers.
The fit and healthy grandparent is too busy self funding the growth in the cruise industry to come on holiday with us.
Looking ahead another 20 years, I don’t fancy a week in “Shagaluf” holding the baby while my daughter hits the clubs with her latest squeeze.
(Just in case my daughter, currently 10, reads this in a decade or so, I’m referring to a dystopian future and am in no way implying you will be trolling the nightclubs of Majorca when you’re 30. Please don’t put me in the cheapest care home).
Flyin'Dutch', tcinbg, Rob P liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Jim Jones wrote:Most new houses seem to be 4 bedroomed executive style, when nuclear family size is shrinking. Grandparents wealth would fund the purchase easily.

Not really. My grandfather's fully modernised, centrally heated 3 bedroom semi sold for £13k. You wouldn't get much of a 4 bedroom modern house for that money.
When I re-married, my wife asked if when we went on holiday, her mother could come with us. We had no kids and I agreed.
But every time we took her away with us, some sort of problem occurred; first time was to Cyprus where a new car park was being constructed next to our hotel, work starting about 6 am and continuing until 7 pr 8 pm.
There were various other occurences every time we took her with us, the final one being on departing Lanzarote to return, an engine was shut down after takeoff (Airtours DC9) due to a fire warning light and we diverted to Gran Canaria where we were stuck for about 20 hours until we were 'rescued' by a Lauda Air 737 (presumably the only 'spare' aircraft that could be found) which, apart from one, had girls from Lauda's offices as serving as cabin crew, the one 'regular' having to tell the other girls what to do all the time as unusually for Danes they didn't appear to speak English (mind you they did look after us so I can't complain).
Last edited by chevvron on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.