Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At this time of year I take a look back through my spreadsheet log book and see how many hours & types I've flown compared to previous years. How have you done this year?

I flew 74 hours on 7 types. 14 of those were on Gazelle, the rest fixed wing mainly RV-10.

My highest ever year was 2010 with 141 hours, and my lowest 28 hours in 2015 (my son was born!). Average is 79 per year, so this year just a tiny bit below average.

My most memorable flights of the year were:

1. Flying the RV-10 to Friedrichshafen and enjoying the tranquil approach to the airport over the lake after horrendous turbulence at 7000ft over the Rhine valley.

2. Flying the C42 into the mountains at Requena and landing on a deserted mountain fire-fighting strip.

3. Flying the London heli-lanes for the first time.
Lockhaven liked this
Only just into double figures for me and just two types but the important thing, from my point of view, is that they're the first hours in my log book for eight years and I have a lot of plans for 2019. The plans are to fly regularly and try some new types (the dreams are to be Katamarino).

Blue skies and favourable winds to one and all.
gasman, Katamarino, 2Donkeys and 1 others liked this
2018 is the first time since owning an aeroplane (1997 onwards) that the annual bill was less than expected :roll:
@ 120 hours (all in C182) but only 2 new airfields (taking the tally up to 241 ).
Highlight was PP (ty Graham) closely followed by Saucats fly-in (ty James).
Main objective for next year is hoodwinking A le Ron into renewing my medical :lol:
Safe flying
G-XLTG
A le Ron liked this
9 hours GA, all P U/T, all in the US with an instructor letting me take liberties while being responsible for anything I screwed up.

698 hours at work, not counting time in the bunk, highlight being landing number 1000 off a visual circuit into a tiny Caribbean island, then spending the night drinking cold beer watching live cricket.

Pretty much my first year in aviation without a new rating or qualification. Must try harder in 2019. Turns out children sap your flying budget (money and time) rather effectively.
jerry_atrick liked this
89 hours, although I have hopes to fly tomorrow on New Years Eve. That is about my average - I keep shooting for 100hrs, but seldom achieving it.

Highlights are 3 new types (all as PiC, plus another I'd only flown dual before logged as PiC), and total types this year was 9.

Also got my EASA aerobatic rating (hence the parachutes thread!).

Mostly happy with the year. A few bad points, aviation-wise, but they can wait for my post retirement memoirs.

G