For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Big Dex
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@stickandrudderman; thanks for the offer. I’m sure it is a great deal and would be lovely to drive in southern France, but I reckon it fails for my needs on the simplicity, corrosion resistance and most importantly, being rear wheel drive, it’s ability to pull a boat up a slimy slipway without sliding backwards into the sea is questionable!
By cockney steve
^^^^ glad to see a man who knows the true purpose of a garage :wink:

It is legend that Napoleon , attempting an invasion of Britain, rallied his forces with the cry, "to the water, now is the hour "

Which gave rise to the familiar Matelot's greeting, "Allo Sailor" :lol:

@Big Dex the afore-mentioned towbar-extension eliminates the traction-problem, though it's desirable to have a second person guide the trailer jockey-wheel , as the bar is only push-pull.

I thought the CLK was RWD? but academic in view of the forgoing.....IIRC we made 3 x 10 ft. extensions (sounds a lot, but depending on state of tide and steepness of slipway.....but you can always add more!) it's much safer and more controllable than belaying with ropes or cargo-straps on a winch.
By tomshep
Late defender. 4wd,alloy body ground clearance. By that time the 1948 small lorry had aircon, winding Windows and despite being lousy to drive was no longer for real men.
Finding aCX that has not biodegraded would be hard. By far the worst car ever made whilst simultaneously being by far the best. I would give up flying for another good one. Flawed in so many ways but completely beguiling in a way that even the DS couldn't match
Wire brush the rust and use an aerosol of the same colour. Cost a bit of time and some axle stands. Some of the bagnoles here in la Mayenne are in a truly dreadful nick. Find another garage.
By Bill Haddow
tomshep wrote:Late defender. 4wd,alloy body ground clearance. By that time the 1948 small lorry had aircon, winding Windows and despite being lousy to drive was no longer for real men.

If you're talking about Land Rover Defenders, have you seen the prices even basket case "project" wrecks are fetching ?

Bill H
By cockney steve
I don't wish one of those motorised stage-coaches on my worst enemy! The odd 1% that serve the original purpose of a farmer's off-road lorry, do earn their keep. Friend has now seen sense, laid-up his TD5 (last of the non-electronic ones) and revels in the luxury of a Toyota pickup. Fuel economy pays the depreciation!

The old, straight 6 Nissan Patrol was a great workhorse, but archaic suspension and tinworm took their toll.