For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I want an electric bike. Worn out late middle aged knee is making walking for exercise a pain (literally). I can cycle but not up steep hills (and I live up one). Has to be a "step through" as difficulty getting my leg over (the crossbar) .. see what I did there.

I had one 20 years ago that ran on a lead acid battery and was utterly useless. I hired an EZee bike on holiday in New Zealand a couple of years ago that seemed pretty good, but doesn't seem to be for sale in UK.

Mainly for use on the road (and cycle tracks). If it folds up to fit in the back of a PA28 that would be a bonus, but not a major factor in deciding what to buy.

Any personal recommendations, and real world figures for range per charge gratefully received.

Thanks
By PeteSpencer
I'm looking for something similar so I can take my 8 year old granddaughter for bike rides and not kill myself in the process: Watching carefully for suggestions:

Thinks: has anyone got an old VeloSolex in working condition they'd like to get rid of.?

Peter
By Leodisflyer
Electric Brompton was so far up my wish list that I had to buy a titanium model to avoid the temptation and make an electric one difficult to justify when it later came out. I have two non-electric ones - a lightweight “sporty” one and a touring model with a rack on it.

Bromptons are super - fun to ride and very practical with the amount much can load them up with.
By PeteSpencer
I'm looking for nothing more than an electric bike to allow me to accompany my Granddaughter round the local country lanes: I'm not going miles, carrying loads of camping stuff or commuting. And the roads around here are on the whole pretty flat.

Halfords seem to have a couple of nice ones in the £700-900 range with road range of up to 50 miles per charge: more than enough for me.

My knees are fine but I worry about what cycling could do to my ticker..... :shock:

Peter
malcolmfrost wrote:
My knees are fine but I worry about what cycling could do to my ticker..... :shock:

Nothing but good!

Aye, but pushing a cheap Halfords electric bike 5 miles home might be a little too much for an auld ticker! :D
By PeteSpencer
Mike Tango wrote:I have a Cube Hybrid Pro 500 and it’s brilliant...

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/mou ... tion-2019/

Between 50 - 60 miles on a charge on mainly road, occasional off road, use.

One of the best buys I’ve ever made.

Two questions:
1)What's a hybrid? I suspect it has something to do with mountains, which don't interest me.

2) Why don't |Cube display their prices anywhere?

Is it a case of 'if you have to ask the price you can't afford it?

Peter :roll:
By Mike Tango
PeteSpencer wrote:
Two questions:
1)What's a hybrid? I suspect it has something to do with mountains, which don't interest me.

2) Why don't |Cube display their prices anywhere?

Is it a case of 'if you have to ask the price you can't afford it?

Peter :roll:

Hybrid I believe relates to the styling/use it’s aimed at. In that although it is styled as a mountain bike it is at home on the road also. Jack of both, master of neither. I use it predominantly on roads and unmade but not too rough tracks and it works very well for me on both. I’ve also fitted carrying rack, side stand, water bottle, small under seat bag and also have mudguards that are added or removed as required.

Couldn’t tell you why they don’t display prices, mine is just over a year old and from memory was £2,200. A fair chunk of that is the Bosch motor and the battery pack, but you still get pretty good quality components in the frame, brakes and gears. Like much in life you get what you pay for.

Look for a good local independent bike shop, I am fortunate to have Solent Cycles, and go and have a chat with them about your needs and wants.
By chevvron
G-Tech do one for £995 (last time I looked at the price) but the 'electric' bit is 'on demand' electrical assistance rather than full time electric power; the latest Suzuki Ignis has electric assistance for its petrol engine in a similar manner.
By OCB
I was a total e-bike addict a couple of years back, but then my job moved :(

I have an a-bike electric, still in it's box, if anyone wants it. I bought two (was crowd-funder) - they are a special breed; extremely foldable and light (ideal for an airfield and back of an a/c in fact), but small wheels meaning they can't do much more than 25 km/h, and they hate uneven roads.

When that didn't work out, I bought a 26" folding mountain bike direct from China.
Suspension front and rear, battery encased in the central spar, disc brakes, mechs are brand named (but definitely not top of the range), wheels and tyres are slightly better.

Darned thing was so good as a convention mountain bike I used the "e-bike" part about 5% of the time.

The huge thing over here in "Europe" just now are electric kick scooters. They are half the weight of a bike, do more or less the same speeds, less than half the size when compacted and easily do 40-50km on a single charge. I've had one for years, lent it out to plenty of cyclists who were utterly skeptical - but now see the advantages. Women love them - no need for lycra and (unfortunately) they see them avoiding "helmet hair".