For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
JoeC wrote:Wha? Not heard of this yet...

If the airbags are activated the car is called to check all is okay, if there is no response from the occupants the emergency services are automatically despatched.

How effective/foolproof this system is I don't know.

This can also be manually activated from the car.

Then there's the breakdown service where a different button is activated to call on breakdown service.

Been around for a while now.
Flyin'Dutch', JoeC liked this
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stevelup wrote:
JoeC wrote:I think he meant that the next sign along the motorway after passing a 60 sign indicated 40 not that the current sign the was driving towards changed from 60 to 40. Mebbe.

Shirley it doesn't matter. If the gantry changes from 60 to 40 and you're far away enough from it, then you can easily gradually decelerate to 40 by the time you get to it, probably without even braking - although a light touch to illuminate your brake lights might be a good idea so some tool doesn't pile into the back of you.

If you're so close to it that you can't slow down without braking hard, then you'll definitely pass the camera well within the 60 second grace period, and again can gradually decelerate well before the net gantry as the camera on the first one will ignore you.

There's just never any need at all to slam your brakes on in a variable speed limit scenario.

The grace period has nothing to do with it - as others have said, I was referring to the situation where one gantry said 60mph and the next one (on an empty motorway!) said 40mph.

With 20/20 (corrected) eyesight, you cannot read the signs far enough away that a car will "gently decelerate" by 20mph before you pass under the gantry. 10mph maybe, 20mph, no way. You need the brakes.