For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:That aside I am pleasantly surprised at the usefulness of the other technologies. I discovered the Automatic Speed Limiting function yesterday, whereby activating it limits the car's speed to the limit of the road you are on and changes it accordingly as speed limits change. I also discovered that care is necessary when, for example, going from a 60 to a 30 limit, the car doesn't brake as smoothly as a driver. :lol:

It may save you from attending a Speed Awareness Course though - I recently received an invitation as I drove past the
IGC (Invitationn Generating Camera) at 49mph on an empty motorway when the variable speed limit dropped from 60mph to 40mph. The camera was mounted on the back of the first sign showing the new limit, so what I learned from the SAC was that gently allowing the speed to decay by lifting of the gas isn't sufficient and that the only way to avoid receiving an invite is to hit the brakes moderately hard if/when the variable limits change downwards. :(
By stevelup
T67M wrote:The camera was mounted on the back of the first sign showing the new limit, so what I learned from the SAC was that gently allowing the speed to decay by lifting of the gas isn't sufficient and that the only way to avoid receiving an invite is to hit the brakes moderately hard if/when the variable limits change downwards.

There's something not right there. The cameras are delayed in relation to the displayed speed.

From the horse's mouth in reply to a FoI request:-

I can confirm that following a change in the speed displayed by signal(s) there is a 60 second ‘grace period’ before HADECS3 cameras start enforcement, giving time for drivers to adapt to the new mandatory speed limit. This is to prevent cars from braking sharply.

Suggest you dispute this.
By Miscellaneous
T67M wrote:It may save you from attending a Speed Awareness Course though

Fair point, although my worry is having someone rearrange the shape of the rear of my car. Having got away with it once on the way home I don't want to risk it being hit again and not being damaged.

Paul_Sengupta wrote:Sat Nav. Roadworks and traffic jams.

Good point Paul, although I don't know that having bang up to date info would make such a big difference here. What sort of level of data is transferred ie can it be given as MB per hour?
By Paul_Sengupta
Miscellaneous wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Sat Nav. Roadworks and traffic jams.

Good point Paul, although I don't know that having bang up to date info would make such a big difference here. What sort of level of data is transferred ie can it be given as MB per hour?

Not sure, but it isn't a huge amount, even down here in the south.
By stevelup
JoeC wrote:I think he meant that the next sign along the motorway after passing a 60 sign indicated 40 not that the current sign the was driving towards changed from 60 to 40. Mebbe.

Shirley it doesn't matter. If the gantry changes from 60 to 40 and you're far away enough from it, then you can easily gradually decelerate to 40 by the time you get to it, probably without even braking - although a light touch to illuminate your brake lights might be a good idea so some tool doesn't pile into the back of you.

If you're so close to it that you can't slow down without braking hard, then you'll definitely pass the camera well within the 60 second grace period, and again can gradually decelerate well before the net gantry as the camera on the first one will ignore you.

There's just never any need at all to slam your brakes on in a variable speed limit scenario.
By stevelup
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:I just couldn't see the value in the car having its own internet connection

Sat Nav. Roadworks and traffic jams.

Misc has all that anyway via Volvo On Call. The car already has an internet connection for all this stuff. The SIM card is for -another- internet connection for general use, and is almost useless.
By Paul_Sengupta
stevelup wrote:There's just never any need at all to slam your brakes on in a variable speed limit scenario.

Depends how good your eyesight is....

stevelup wrote:Misc has all that anyway via Volvo On Call. The car already has an internet connection for all this stuff. The SIM card is for -another- internet connection for general use, and is almost useless.

Oh, right, *another* SIM card. Right.
By Miscellaneous
Where I got caught out yesterday was going from a 60mph road in to a 30mph built up area, it is quite a speed reduction. What accentuated the problem was the car responding to the first speed reduction marker at 300yds (it is still yards?). Following drivers could be forgiven for being surprised at heavier than expected braking 300yds out.
By stevelup
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Oh, right, *another* SIM card. Right.

Yup - one's internal and managed by Volvo - part of the subscription service.

The second one is a slot for you to put your own in - it then adds a WiFi hotspot to the car and a few other less useful features.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
stevelup wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Oh, right, *another* SIM card. Right.

Yup - one's internal and managed by Volvo - part of the subscription service.

The second one is a slot for you to put your own in - it then adds a WiFi hotspot to the car and a few other less useful features.

I presume all new cars now have a SIM card on board for the mandatory SOS calling facility?

If so it may reduce the nickability/desiredness of cars (unless easily accessible of course)