Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi, I passed my skills test back in November (Yay! :D ) however I am now having the painful wait to get my license back from the CAA.

Has anyone had any recent experience with sending off for a brand new PPL(A) via the paper application route and how long it took in working days?

I have been waiting 18 working days when it says on the website they aim to process all applications within 10 working days. It does say delays but doesn't say how long the delays are...

I feel like it is going to be well into 2019 before I am airborne again. there goes my idea with a nice flight over the Christmas period... :(
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Congratulations! :thumleft:

There is at least one recent thread that covers this. Sorry, I can't immediately find it but from memory sadly it's reported to be rather longer than you've waited so far. 6 weeks rings a bell, but you might want to search in this forum.
Deltapapa24 liked this
On the CAA website it said they were going to post an update on the delays week commencing 7th January. I tweeted the CAA yesterday to ask if they knew when this would happen and how they are going to deliver the update.

No response but today the website has been updated to say that the update will be week commencing 14th January.....
UPDATE

So I am now 37 (Working Days) since the CAA received my PPL application. I spoke to them last week on the phone for an update.

The guy on the phone was very helpful, although he did say on the 7th January they were still only processing applications they received in late October. I believe the turn around at the moment is about 10 weeks.

Very frustrating... and it really is an anti-climax investing all that time, money and effort learning to fly, passing your skills test (Yay!) and then having to wait this long.

CAA needs to sort this out. Has anyone seen an update published online yet?
Deltapapa24 wrote:UPDATE

So I am now 37 (Working Days) since the CAA received my PPL application. I spoke to them last week on the phone for an update.

The guy on the phone was very helpful, although he did say on the 7th January they were still only processing applications they received in late October. I believe the turn around at the moment is about 10 weeks.

Very frustrating... and it really is an anti-climax investing all that time, money and effort learning to fly, passing your skills test (Yay!) and then having to wait this long.

CAA needs to sort this out. Has anyone seen an update published online yet?

10 Weeks for me should be end of this month so hopefully should see something soon. I agree it is frustrating but don't forget you can still fly (sans pax, with instructor permission) during the waiting period.
LD1Racing wrote:
10 Weeks for me should be end of this month so hopefully should see something soon. I agree it is frustrating but don't forget you can still fly (sans pax, with instructor permission) during the waiting period.

My flight school has told me they aren't allowed to do that anymore, if I want to fly in the meantime it would have to be dual... So I may as well just wait. I done a check ride on the C172 last week actually, so I could stay current and so I can fly that when the magic piece of paper comes through.
Has anyone got an update recently? Their website still hasn't been updated despite the statement "We understand that delays are frustrating for applicants. We are working hard to bring them down and we will provide an update in the week commencing 14 January 2019. " I submitted my paperwork the start of this month so I'll be at the back of the queue still