Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
There's scope in all forms of electronic conspicuity for an aircraft to have a unique identifier which is self-assigned and randomly created for each flight. That way, all other aircraft can monitor it for collision avoidance purposes but there's no persistent unique identifier.
Joe Dell liked this
It is used as a preparation to make criminals

There is a legal process to determine if you are indeed a criminal or not. Otherwise, one shouldn't have anything to hide....

On another note, I'm not sure I have heard of any other country looking to mandate EC in all it's airspace at some point in future.
gaznav, Ben K liked this
Well, since it's a consultation I trust we will all make our opinions known to the CAA. I also trust that whatever GA organisation we belong to AOPA, BGA, LAA, BMAA, will be pressed to lobby for the benefit of their membership.

It may not matter to me given the number of years behind me but you never know. I do however resent the idea of them mandating anything and just expecting us all to reach into our pockets yet again for something which, I very much doubt there is much (any?) evidence that there is an issue to be addressed. But if they do mandate it they should do the decent thing and refund the entire cost of the mandated device and any associated installation costs.

And if they do go ahead with this they should give something back, and what I think they should give back is pretty much ALL controlled airspace. I mean, if we are all conspicuous and identified where is the need for controlled airspace?

And I'll make this prediction. If this does come to pass, maybe not immediately but at some point down the line some ratty civil servant is going to come up with the notion, hey, look at all that traffic. We can see everything they are doing and we can track them, therefore we can charge them.

ps. I haven't yet read the consultation, but I will.
Last edited by rf3flyer on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockney steve wrote:@Dave Phillips your faith in the rule-makers and enforcers, is truly touching......In my long, wide experience, wildly misplaced, but nevertheless, touching. :lol: :clown:

Uh? My comment was about how to best utilise the sky. I haven’t a clue how that links with your assertion of my “faith in the rule-makers”. :wall: :wall:

Let’s look at this another way. UK population is about 65M. Light GA (ie “us”) is possibly 30k. Our 0.05% representation needs to ‘get with the programme.’
Mike Tango, GonzoEGLL, vintage ATCO and 1 others liked this
GonzoEGLL wrote:Not bad.

Four posts to get to blackmail, and one and a half pages before talk turns to hanging innocent people.

I need to print some new Flyer Forum bingo cards!

I know that you're not, but for others tempted to do so…please don't make the mistake of tarring the whole forum with the same brush. There are lots of subjects discussed and lots of different views, some more extreme/cynical than others.

Thanks

Ian
townleyc, kanga liked this
tomshep wrote:No, James. Too many innocent people have been hanged to allow that kind of thinking. My privacy and actions are NOT state property. They may rule me but they don't own me.

Tom, unless your aircraft is without registration mark, fully stealthy with visual adaptive-camouflage, emits nothing in the aural/electro-magnetic spectrum and flies from a secret airfield, then it is kind of hard to keep your privacy and actions in your aircraft hidden from view. Indeed, unless you terrain mask to every human being with eyes or a camera then I cannot think how you would achieve this? (And then you are probably breaking SERA low-flying rules and so you really do have something to hide!) :lol:
Ben K liked this
G-BLEW wrote:
GonzoEGLL wrote:Not bad.

Four posts to get to blackmail, and one and a half pages before talk turns to hanging innocent people.

I need to print some new Flyer Forum bingo cards!

I know that you're not, but for others tempted to do so…please don't make the mistake of tarring the whole forum with the same brush. There are lots of subjects discussed and lots of different views, some more extreme/cynical than others.

Thanks

Ian

Very true Ian, and you’re quite correct I should have added a smiley or two!

I’m sure the majority of rational forum members will respond to the consultation in constructive ways.
G-BLEW liked this