For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Another rubber boat full of people who shouldn't be here needed rescuing from the sea last night.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46519306

It's one thing launching government assets like the coastguard cutters and helicopters (coast+guard) but why should a voluntary life saving service that's not government funded using its cash and people to assist in a political crisis? On the other hand, it's people in an unseaworthy boat, close to copping a wave and dying, so what else is to be done? I'm guessing that those picked up are sent to a detention centre but they obviously thought it worth risking their life to cross so enough must be getting through to make it worthwhile.

The RNLI is one of our direct debits and that won't stop regardless, but they might have a serious problem on its hands next year both in volunteers / assets / cash being used and public attitudes to donating if this becomes a thing.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:So what are you suggesting?

I honestly can't see an immediate solution FD, there's nothing unsaid in the above. The RNLI have to launch regardless. What concerns me is that they are being dragged into something that can only harm them.

If their hard earned resources are called on for these extra political duties they might not (ie will not, you can't spend a pound twice) be able to provide the service levels elsewhere that they would otherwise. People might restrict donations and volunteering - not hard to imagine some boathouse crew and volunteers thinking "why am I doing this?". The same goes for donations.

Taking government money is the last thing they need for all the reasons that they don't take it now - they would become a HMG contractor and subject to political whims.

I'm a bit stumped. What would you suggest?

I’d suggest that forumites, before expressing any opinion as to whether the RNLI should have launched, should replace the words “illegal immigrants” in the thread title with “people in distress” and see if it changes how they think.
PaulB wrote:

I’d suggest that forumites, before expressing any opinion as to whether the RNLI should have launched, should replace the words “illegal immigrants” in the thread title with “people in distress” and see if it changes how they think.

Please read whats under the title Paul. Apology accepted, thanks.
Last edited by eltonioni on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Safety of life at sea has always been unconditional, which is why enemy survivors are picked up after sea battles. RNLI rightly takes this at face value and its brave volounteers have always had my unconditional admiration and limited financial support.

Those seeking to cross the channel are mostly desperate victims, though there will always be crooked opportunists in the mix somewhere, so all the RNLI can do is retrieve them and hand them in to those whose job it is to cope with them.
eltonioni wrote:
PaulB wrote:Please read whats under the title Paul. Apology accepted, thanks.

No apology offered. I think the title is misleading.

Who the people are or where they have come from is of no consequence. They are at sea, in extremis.

Should the RNLI assist if requested? Yes.
johnm wrote:
Those seeking to cross the channel are mostly desperate victims, though there will always be crooked opportunists in the mix somewhere.

Some of these illegals were interviewed prior to attempting the crossing.
They are paying around £6000.00 each to the guy supplying the boat/inflatable.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
davey wrote:
johnm wrote:
Those seeking to cross the channel are mostly desperate victims, though there will always be crooked opportunists in the mix somewhere.

Some of these illegals were interviewed prior to attempting the crossing.
They are paying around £6000.00 each to the guy supplying the boat/inflatable.

Not all desperate victims are penniless........
You save people at risk. The RNLI is the least political organisation around and is widely recognised as doing God’s work. Think for a moment about how an organisation with “Royal” in the title has survived the troubles unscathed and thrives in some of the most strongly republican parts of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Josh wrote:You save people at risk. The RNLI is the least political organisation around and is widely recognised as doing God’s work. Think for a moment about how an organisation with “Royal” in the title has survived the troubles unscathed and thrives in some of the most strongly republican parts of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

I’m going to regret this, and I’ll be surprised if this post survives, but if God was involved one has to wonder why there would be any need for an RNLI in the first place?