Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

“Cash” or “Money” is what you have before you start flying.

Once you start flying you think back to the days when you used to have disposable income.

What you have left AFTER paying for flying is now your disposable income.

If it’s more than £6.50 a month, you’re not really that keen on flying tbh.

There are millionaires on this forum and there are those of us on meagre incomes, yet when asked the question

“How much money does it cost to fly?” we all give the same answer

“all of it”
Flyin'Dutch', Malcvxer liked this
Malcvxer wrote:(if you have the cash!)...

And if you don't have the cash, you couldn't fly anyway, even if you had a medical. :clown: :D

Sorry, I'll stop now. ;-)

Right, yes, disposable income. So *that's* why I seem to have accumulated a bit of money in my bank account since I haven't been flying. Hmm. Hope I get my aeroplane back soon or the money will start overflowing.

It's also been helped along by an 8.33 rebate! :mrgreen:

I feel the purchase of a CDI might be in order...
Malcvxer liked this
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm not offended and welcome the variety!

I am happy to spend on something if it has a good purpose but also appreciate it is easy to get carried away. Starter kits often have stuff you dont need or may have the basics that you want to upgrade later so wasting money.

I'll grab a chart, they are "cheap" enough to read and practice while the weather is causing issues.

I work in the tech sector myself so can easily splash out on a set of A20s and not even think about it but would also prefer to spend the same money in the air. However with a hearing loss in the left ear some ANC would come in handy so everyone is different.

Its the protractors, "computer" and books that confuse more than headsets!
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think you can use a simple protractor as in a kid's geometry set. the "computer " AKA "Whizz-Wheel" is nothing more than a circular slide-rule. A Vernier Caliper works on much the same principle. They tend to sell at about half new price on the Bay. It is quite a "fun" thing to master.
learn the phonetic alphabet, It's one of those things that is never forgotten and has it's uses in everyday life (ever had a dodgy phone-connection?) There is a chap who converts and reconditions secondhand Dave Clarke headsets to ANR Someone will tell you or try a Forum Search. I've seen a lot of enthusiastic feedback and nothing negative about him. DC'c are, apparently really well built, the "volvo" of the headset world!
Buy a chart so that you can familiarise yourself with the local training area. Look at the map and then outside.
No eqipment is needed to progress through the first few hours of instruction.
Everything else can be bought as and when required but with some knowledge of what you
want personally.
The sticky thread by leiafee is well worth a read.
Make sure you prepare for each lesson and get the maximum benefit, that way you will not waste time and money in the air learning somthing that could be done in the classroom.