Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Think it was last week that it was highlighted that between now and 2050 average UK summer temperatures were likely to rise by up to 5 degrees, that's one hell of a lot. The positives of course are that staycations are going to be more likely (with devaluation of the pound that will probably help), the UK wine-growing industry should explode and classic car prices should go through the roof too...
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
neilmurg wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:No signs of warming up here this morning...
(img deleted)
That's WEATHER, not climate, it's quite an important difference, maybe read up on it...

Neil

You really really really need to focus on getting a sense of humour for 2019. It’ll liberate your mind, and may even help you become a more interesting person. :thumleft:
Nick liked this
Not sure what your point is GtE
Climate, or 'Average weather', as I'm sure you know, isn't well informed by 'it's been a great summer', 'oh it's always windy in the Autumn' etc.
A 0.1 degC change in average temperature of the planet is a huge amount of energy. It's not going to be detected by a pine cone outside the front door.

If we reject science because we don't like the conclusion, where are we? In wilful ignorance. I expect Disney will be along in a minute to chuck a load of lemmings off a cliff. And then then we'll all follow, (I say we, but I mean y'all, 'cos I'm gonna live [but not in ignorance]).
reimomo liked this
Listening to a Ted Talk the other day. It listed 80 things to stop climate change. One of the highest on the list with a high impact was “Educating Girls”. On a worldwide basis the lack of education of girls leads to few choices other than to continue to live in a dependant environment and produce a greater number of children. This has a greater impact on climate change than driving an electric car.
johnm, Dave W, rogerb and 2 others liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm sure that's true -but....

Ultimately we all can do what we can do.

I live a lifestyle where I *need* a car, and *want* to go flying. I can *choose* to do both in a reasonably energy and emissions efficient manner. I can also do things like ensure my home and workplace are energy efficient, minimise food waste and make sure what can't be used gets recycled or composted - not sent to landfill. I can think hard about what charities I support and try to use ones that benefit the planet - however I elect to define that, in a good way.

My actions won't save the world - but multiplied by 60 million people Britain can make a small but noticeable difference, and set an example for the rest of the world. Bring enough countries "into the fold" and the world and human race have a fighting chance.

*If* enough of us try.

My reading of the situation is that both the USA and China, often maligned, are actually trying pretty hard. That the US president and a *proportion* of his electorate don't care, doesn't actually change that a large proportion of Americans do care, and their regional governments do care - and so the USA is well on its way to being compliant with Paris and other treaties. And its actual compliance (better still, exceedence) that really matters - not whether one bloke in the a big white building in DC actually signs a treaty or not.

I think that the Chinese are steadily catching up, mostly because they see it as eventually giving them significant advantage over the Americans.

G
GonzoEGLL liked this
Unfortunately "G" few if any of those things you are doing make any difference at all on a global scale even if 60 million people do it together. The other side of your equation impacts with more vigour than your mitigation.
The real solutions lie in population impact not personal impact. The cost on the environment of providing food, the removal of natural carbon capture provided by vast rain forests, the growing number of carbon footprints from the still growing population are the things that need tackled before any of the tiny steps individuals can take make any difference at all.
But hay, if it makes you feel good.
Because you are actually doing next to nothing already, you just don’t seem to realise it.
Not getting at you particularly but it is often highlighted by the typical five bed American house, fully air conditioned, a giant fridge loaded to the brim with food, recycling bins in the garden and three Pirus’ In the garage. It’s rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
TLRippon wrote:The real solutions lie in population impact not personal impact. The cost on the environment of providing food, the removal of natural carbon capture provided by vast rain forests, the growing number of carbon footprints from the still growing population are the things that need tackled before any of the tiny steps individuals can take make any difference at all.

The real solutions lie in every one of us doing as much as we can, both as individuals and on the macro scale you talk about.

If we all sit around doing nothing saying 'what I do won't make any difference, they need to start first' nothing will ever change.
Genghis the Engineer, reimomo, Rob P and 2 others liked this