Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
GonzoEGLL wrote:The DfT funds* the country-wide scheme, and NATS En-Route Ltd (NERL) fund Farnborough North and East sectors through their income.

*The sum, when divided by the participant units, is generally accepted not to fully cover the cost of the service provision for the promulgated hours. I’ve heard it unofficially from one unit that it effectively pays for one controller (not one controller position, but one controller from a complement of 25(ish)).

LARS funding doesn't even pay for one controller
Last I heard, Farnborough North and East were funded from the NATS Services Ltd (ie the airport section of NATS) contingency funds.
By LysanderV8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Perhaps Bristol should be added to the Airspace User Portal to join Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City
By gyrotyro
Yes, Bristol can be a challenging zone to transit as a humble PPL.

With regards to sounding competent and then getting a transit based on slick radio patter.

Well, I can usually manage to sound competent but if I was then asked to do something that the controller then thinks I am actually capable of I would probably soon be in a plummet-school-housing estate-hospital avoiding type of scenario.

Best to avoid over egging the CV I think,
By GonzoEGLL
LysanderV8 wrote:Perhaps Bristol should be added to the Airspace User Portal to join Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City

Bristol are using a different system to the one at London Terminal Control. The AUP pre-note facility is linked to the LTC system.
By BEX
The AUP pre-note facility is linked to the LTC system.

Sort of... The interface is currently human.

The AUP could be rolled out to other sites, if they wanted it. As ever the question is not really " how", but "who will pay?"

Regards

BEX
By GonzoEGLL
BEX wrote:
The AUP pre-note facility is linked to the LTC system.

Sort of... The interface is currently human.

The AUP could be rolled out to other sites, if they wanted it. As ever the question is not really " how", but "who will pay?"

Regards

BEX

Very true. Should have been more clear!

"who will pay?" is indeed always the question.
By riverrock
GonzoEGLL wrote:Bristol are using a different system to the one at London Terminal Control.

Does this mean that they've put in a system that can handle popup VFR transit requests, unlike the systems at LTC (hence need for portal)? :twisted:
By GonzoEGLL
riverrock wrote:
GonzoEGLL wrote:Bristol are using a different system to the one at London Terminal Control.

Does this mean that they've put in a system that can handle popup VFR transit requests, unlike the systems at LTC (hence need for portal)? :twisted:

It’s the same system that Farnborough use, so it can ‘handle’ VFR freecallers.

I would not like to comment on whether it handles it ‘well’.

The LTC system can handle freecallers too, but in all of these systems it’s easier for the controller to retrieve stored information than create it oneself.
By James Chan
I look forward to a day where a pilot only needs to do a full freecall once per flight over the radio (or none if a flight plan is filed).

As the data can be exchanged electronically to the relevant units along the route. And thus free up radio congestion letting controllers get on with separating aircraft and area FISOs get on with providing traffic information about aircraft....
By chevvron
James Chan wrote:I look forward to a day where a pilot only needs to do a full freecall once per flight over the radio (or none if a flight plan is filed).

As the data can be exchanged electronically to the relevant units along the route. And thus free up radio congestion letting controllers get on with separating aircraft and area FISOs get on with providing traffic information about aircraft....

What used to annoy me was that some units insisted on 2 phone calls for one handover; one to pre-note the details and a second to actually pass the ident. In general, Farnborough controllers were too busy for this unlike some (but not all) military units where each console was manned by a controller and an assistant, hence we ended up free-calling. Certainly the opportunity to pass details electronically might streamline the service, but time still has to be found to actually 'send' the details to the receiving unit including verifying that the details sent are correct and it should be understood that all radar handovers are carried out 'workload permitting'.