Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chipmeisterc
@Tim Dawson any thoughts of integrating drone flights from NATS data as a toggle-able overlay into SD? (Assuming it is available to 3rd parties)
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chipmeisterc wrote:@Tim Dawson any thoughts of integrating drone flights from NATS data as a toggle-able overlay into SD? (Assuming it is available to 3rd parties)

No doubt that is technically, and maybe commercially, possible. Systems such as (NATS endorsed) Altitude Angel's GuardianUTM have this information available now and are being picked up for use by commercial and sensible non-commercial UAS operators now.

However, I suspect GA pilots wouldn't currently find it in all that useful real time, in flight - in fact, it could well be a distraction and/or be seen as extraneous information.

This may change, and probably will, in some years' time when Beyond Visual Line of Sight UAS and other systems begin to operate more widely and more commonly in conjunction with what we might think of as "GA Airspace". (i.e. above 400ft agl, Class G.)

But for now, NOTAMs and Temporary Danger Areas will be of more direct use to us than an Altitude Angel feed, I suspect.
chipmeisterc liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flying_john wrote:Is anyone else surprised, as I am, at the number of prisons there are in the UK !

No, the UK has the highest proportion of incarceration by far in Europe.

Country Population per 100,000
US 737
RUSSIA 615
UKRAINE 350
SOUTH AFRICA 334
POLAND 235
MEXICO 196
BRAZIL 193
ENGLAND/WALES 148
SCOTLAND 134
KENYA 130
AUSTRALIA 125
CHINA 118
TURKEY 91
N IRELAND 79
JAPAN 62
NIGERIA 30
INDIA 30
SOURCE: International Centre for Prison Studies
By Crash one
Tim Dawson wrote:I sometimes wonder if people who react so badly to being corrected on spelling and grammar also react badly when somebody points out something in their flying that could be improved.

Personally I like being corrected if I'm wrong. It means I've learned something.

I sometimes wonder if people who insist on correcting other people’s trivial mistakes have got an inferiority problem themselves by pointing out how superior they are!
One of the reasons I’m becoming increasingly disillusioned with this forum.
Worthwhile subjects are a completely different issue.
Rob P, Nick, Moli and 2 others liked this
By Dave W
What I saw was an unfortunate typo (fairly common on forums frequently accessed by smartphone) and an accompanying light-hearted opportunistic pun on the term "app".

But that's just me.
Smaragd, johnm, Paul_Sengupta and 5 others liked this
By Smaragd
Interesting that Colerne is shown as a recreational airport -do they know of some plans of which we locals are not aware? Mind you, at the moment (and until closure at the end of the year) there's only recreational traffic.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Careful Dave. With that attitude you might accidentally have a happy life.
Dave W, Paul_Sengupta, GrahamB and 2 others liked this
By Rob P
Crash one wrote:
I sometimes wonder if people who insist on correcting other people’s trivial mistakes have got an inferiority problem themselves by pointing out how superior they are!

I sometimes wonder why people get all aerated, on behalf of others perfectly capable of speaking for themselves, about things they imagine they read rather than what was written.

Nobody "corrected" anybody.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlbown liked this
By GonzoEGLL
Hnnnnnnnnnngh......

Trying.....to.....resist.......making.......comment.........about........airspace grabs............freedom.............hnnnnnnhhhhh........accommodate all airspace users........hnnnnnnnn........

:wink:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Crash one
Rob P wrote:
Crash one wrote:

I sometimes wonder why people get all aerated, on behalf of others perfectly capable of speaking for themselves, about things they imagine they read rather than what was written.

Nobody "corrected" anybody.

Rob P

I didn’t initially say “corrected” I said “ picking holes”. I also said “It’s none of my business”.
Perhaps this particular instance wasn’t the best to comment on, but it touches on the subject a bit and makes me reluctant to post any comment on an aviation subject without feeling I have to carefully proof read what I’ve said first.
I don’t have a problem with being corrected if I’ve made a mistake worth mentioning but not when it’s some trivial spelling mistake, apostrophe in the wrong place etc.
Moli liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Crash one wrote:I don’t have a problem with being corrected if I’ve made a mistake worth mentioning but not when it’s some trivial spelling mistake, apostrophe in the wrong place etc.

It depends. It can sometimes be humorous and fun if the meaning is changed. For instance I once, in my haste, typed "yolk" instead of "yoke".

Someone remarked that I looked like I had egg on my face...

:lol:

Mea culpa and all that.