Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think it depends.

MAG is owned by Manchester council and local authorities, and you can see what them and their handling agents are demanding at Manchester and Stansted.

Biggin Hill is owned by the council and their flying schools almost got booted by the leaseholder.

I call for better regulation in this whole area of keeping infrastructure accessible (within reason).
By cockney steve
Peel own Manchester City Airport (well, that's what some deluded Wonk has decided to call Bartom aerodrome.
Give them their due, they've spent a fair bit on levelling and draining, with very mixed success but the 08 -26 are shaping -up pretty well (08R /26L) the other is still undergoing remedial work, I think.
They've just erected a ginormous new hangar doubling the size of that which survives (some old ones were unsafe/demolished, but even they were far smaller than the new one....now they just need to offer a tempting rate to move the outdoor parkers off the grass and apron!

Considerable cash has been spent on the cafe play ground and they had a travelling fairground during the school holidays It attracted enormous crowds of women and kids and they were all spending! What with donkey-rides, a huge pile of sand and a hot-dog /hamburger stall, it was more like Blackpool or Southport.
I was glad I was only visiting, but there was a good bit of interest in the aircraft -movements as well. so, all in all, I think it was a good PR exercise and must promote long-term growth, whilst subsidising the running of the flying- facilities.

They also own the Manchester Ship Canal, which runs close to the road parallel with the airfield boundary...Oh, there's some sort of new sporting stadium close -by and Peel charge those visitors for parking.....They certainly seem to be in there for the long-term and seem to be maximising the use of the site......shame that Lancs Aero Club couldn't do similar and buy it from the Council :(
cockney steve wrote:Peel own Manchester City Airport (well, that's what some deluded Wonk has decided to call Bartom aerodrome...

er, IIRC Barton existed (1928) and was called Manchester City Aerodrome by the City Fathers before that upstart at RAF Ringway existed (1939) .. :roll:
By Nick
kanga wrote:
cockney steve wrote:Peel own Manchester City Airport (well, that's what some deluded Wonk has decided to call Bartom aerodrome...

er, IIRC Barton existed (1928) and was called Manchester City Aerodrome by the City Fathers before that upstart at RAF Ringway existed (1939) .. :roll:

And before that another airfield existed not many miles away. Later turned into an Army Camp. https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?h ... perpage=60

Nick